Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-16-2015, 07:37 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 Maristar 210
Prop shaft out of alignment

Hello All,

I'm in the process purchasing, what appears to be, a very well maintained 2001 Maristar 210. Upon inspection, I noticed that the prop shaft is not centered when exiting the hull and appears to be in contact with the lower part of the housing (for lack of better words). The shaft does not show signs of wear in this location which leads me to believe it might be out of alignment.

A friend told me it is likely a blown cutlass bearing. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this and whether it should be a major concern?
Old 02-16-2015, 08:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 prostar 205 LTR
Do a search for alignment. There are pages of threads on this topic with pics and detailed instructions. GLWP.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:31 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Not being centered in the shaft log may indicate a bent shaft strut, bent prop shaft, worn out cutlass bearing, or poor motor/trans alignment or a combination of any of them.

There are a lot of things you should do if you suspect any of these issues.

I would first post up some photos of underwater running gear from behind and include photo of the shaft exiting the boat at the shaft log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205er View Post
I drink wine and whine about it being too cold to drink beer....
Old 02-17-2015, 09:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
And for what it's worth, here are the causes from best to worst case in terms of cost to remediate (approximate):

Misalignment of engine/transmission to drive line
Worn cutlass bearing
Bent shaft
Bent strut

And of course it could be a combo as noted by CantRepeat.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
my money is on bent strut
Old 02-17-2015, 08:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Ooohh, I like that picture Tim. Describes it excellently.

Yeah, I'm going with Curver - likely a bent strut, hopefully the driveshaft is still straight.

Take a photo from about 10' back from the rear of the boat, looking straight from rudder to bow eye and post it here. We'll be able to tell if the strut is bent. Also, take a close-up of the problem area (where its "in contact with the lower part of the housing").

A worn cutlass bearing is really unlikely to be worn badly enough to visibly affect the location of the propshaft relative to the shaft log. A bent strut is very common - people hit something, the boat continues running (perhaps with a bit more vibration), so they forget that they hit anything. And they don't notice until metal fatigue causes the propshaft to break and their prop to fall to the bottom of the lake, or until they sell the boat and the new owner posts a comment here similar to yours.

If that's the case, we'll commiserate and help you out. It can be expensive to fix, depending on how much is damaged, but we can help you figure that out.

Good luck, and let us know how it's going.

/frank

p.s. Eventually, you're gonna need to know how to align the engine to the driveshaft. Attached is a doc that's been floating around here a long, long time.
Attached Files
File Type: doc PROPSHAFT_ALIGNMENT-15676.doc (31.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 02-17-2015, 10:14 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
The shaft does not have to be perfectly centered as it exits the hull. The strut is the center of the universe. take some pictures of the cutlass bearing. if it's worn unevenly then there could be a number of things. If the shaft is rubbing the side of the hull the strut could be bent.

A water test required - bent shaft lots of vibration, bent strut strait shaft usually does not have a vibration. there are many threads here about fixing all that.

I check mine every other season...
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2015, 06:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
The prop shaft on my 200 MariStar was not centered from day one. Was a 1/4 to 1/2" from center. Had alignment checked and was told it was near perfect and didn't need adjustment. Never had wear or vibration issues.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:45 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Yup - Perfect alignment doesn't mean the shaft goes directly through the center of the shaft log, just that the propshaft is perfectly straight from strut to transmission coupling and doesn't hit anything along the way.

/frank
Old 02-19-2015, 12:54 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 Maristar 210
I really appreciate the information and advice! I put a deposit down on the boat until I can have a proper marine survey and sea trial. I'll post some pictures the next time I see the boat. Thanks to cantrepeat's post I can now accurately describe what I have seen. I believe the shaft has about 1/16 of clearance from the bottom of the shaft log. The current owner indicates no vibration but did say he hit a branch in the water that was the diameter of his thumb but, big enough to damage his prop.

Thanks again for all of your help, what a great forum!