Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-08-2015, 09:02 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: -
Powerslot Fluid Amount

Friends--

The dipstick on the tranny has a mark for a hot reading, but there is nothing regarding a reading before the tranny is warmed up... Given my lack of history with this boat, I am hesitant to put it on the water without ensuring the tranny has enough fluid in it.

All that said, can anyone advise how much I should see on the dipstick in a cold state?

Thanks--

kix
Old 06-08-2015, 09:08 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Transmission oil level should be check at running temp immediately after shutting down the engine so the hoses and cooler don't drain back.
My guess is that cold it should read a bit higher then the hot mark.

What year Powerslot and boat?
Old 06-08-2015, 09:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by kixtand View Post
Friends--

The dipstick on the tranny has a mark for a hot reading, but there is nothing regarding a reading before the tranny is warmed up... Given my lack of history with this boat, I am hesitant to put it on the water without ensuring the tranny has enough fluid in it.

All that said, can anyone advise how much I should see on the dipstick in a cold state?

Thanks--

kix
why don't you rig a fake a lake in your driveway, bring the boat up to temp, and make sure the vitals tranny & engine oil) are reading as they should before you put it in the water? It legit cost me 9 bucks and an hour of my time.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Maristar 240 SC
Powerslot Fluid Amount

Is it over the hot full mark? It should be cold in the drive way. If you are worried grab a qt and a funnel to take on the lake. When it gets warm shut her down and check it. Add if needed.

I think my manual says 3 qt. is full. You could probably find your manual on the MC site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2015, 09:49 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
why don't you rig a fake a lake in your driveway, bring the boat up to temp, and make sure the vitals tranny & engine oil) are reading as they should before you put it in the water? It legit cost me 9 bucks and an hour of my time.
I did just that, warmed it up and let it cool down 3-4 times over the weekend, but I don't think this truly warms up the tranny...

Engine oil has been drained and replaced, trying to do the same for the tranny, which got me to where I am now...
Old 06-08-2015, 09:51 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by André View Post
Transmission oil level should be check at running temp immediately after shutting down the engine so the hoses and cooler don't drain back.
My guess is that cold it should read a bit higher then the hot mark.

What year Powerslot and boat?
'91 Prostar 190.

Reading a bit higher cold makes sense when you put it that way, but is contradictory to what I have experienced in auto trannys...
Old 06-09-2015, 06:41 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1993 prostar 205/1985 stars&stripes
Yours will hold three quarts. Expansion will be minimal on that amount, compared to 8-12 quarts in a vehicle. Just running it to get the lines full is key. Operating temperature is best though.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:07 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
My 93 Prostar 190 with Slot was about 3 qts, and seemed low when cold and right on the mark warm. Check a few times when warm ... avoid overfilling so it does not vent out into your bilge.

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
Old 06-09-2015, 09:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
That's a good way, to ruin your cutlass bearing in your shaft strut.

On the water, is the best and surest way to check for proper amount of fluid. Takes all of 15 minutes. Once, you have establishes the hot level, on the water. Check the fluid again, after it has fully cooled down, boat on the trailer. You now know, the cold level, on the trailer.

Every boat is a little different, due to cooler line length, and cooler orientation.

2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:22 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Prostar190 View Post
My 93 Prostar 190 with Slot was about 3 qts, and seemed low when cold and right on the mark warm. Check a few times when warm ... avoid overfilling so it does not vent out into your bilge.
Gotcha, thanks.