Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 11-23-2013, 07:04 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsword View Post
The engines put in our boats see much more stress than a comparable car engine. I keep thinking that part of the marinizing process should have been to put more detailed sensors and sophisticated diagnostics on the engines put in our boats.
High RPM aside, they really don't see the stress/strain from the tires hooking up with the road, unlike a boat that has a prop pushing against water. The control of boat engines is much simpler than in cars, too. More sensors? People can't diagnose their problems with the number that are in these now? How do you expect them to fix a problem if they have more sensors?

Ever heard of SIB-KISS? This isn't a Space Shuttle and it doesn't need to be more complicated but whoever is working on one of these needs to know what the he!! they're doing. I don't understand why more people don't buy a manual. It doesn't need to be more sophisticated than a mid-late '90s full-sized Chevy pickup manual- (TBI) or something for Multi-port injection. If they have the LT-1, they could buy a Corvette manual.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
High RPM aside, they really don't see the stress/strain from the tires hooking up with the road, unlike a boat that has a prop pushing against water. The control of boat engines is much simpler than in cars, too. More sensors? People can't diagnose their problems with the number that are in these now? How do you expect them to fix a problem if they have more sensors?

Ever heard of SIB-KISS? This isn't a Space Shuttle and it doesn't need to be more complicated but whoever is working on one of these needs to know what the he!! they're doing. I don't understand why more people don't buy a manual. It doesn't need to be more sophisticated than a mid-late '90s full-sized Chevy pickup manual- (TBI) or something for Multi-port injection. If they have the LT-1, they could buy a Corvette manual.
You're right! My time racing LT1s led me to believe these engines operate off of sensors that either can or can't vary resistance depending on temp or position. They still operate with Fuel Air or Spark if one is missing start your search there
Old 11-23-2013, 09:29 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1redTA View Post
You're right! My time racing LT1s led me to believe these engines operate off of sensors that either can or can't vary resistance depending on temp or position. They still operate with Fuel Air or Spark if one is missing start your search there
There's only one sensor that varies with temperature, one that varies with position and one that varies with vacuum. The Knock sensor is basically a microphone- that's all the ECM gets. It's not rocket surgery. The ECM does the rest, but the positive voltage and all grounding are King- if they're not right, nothing is right.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:32 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssteven View Post
Okay so I have replaced the TPS and still in limp mode and still getting a check engine. Either that was not my issue or I was thinking the ECM may need to be reset afterwards. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So, you checked the grounds and changed the paddle wheel just before the problem started- why are you looking at the TPS? That won't cause RPM reduction. Where were you working? Go there and look for a ground wire that's not on the stud, ground buss or maybe the wire came out of the terminal. "Then when testing out that repair we found ourselves limping to the dock with a check engine light and no throttle control.". If you have throttle by wire, you have a servo at the throttle body, but the helm is where the command comes from. Make sure you didn't loosen a wire when you were working on the PP.