Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 11-05-2013, 10:21 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Single to Tandem Conversion

Everyone knows I'm wanting a tandem. So here is what I have so far.

I have a '93 190 sitting on factory '93 single axle trailer.

I have an opportunity to purchase a very very cheap tandem Malibu trailer for a response '98 model. The tandem is a rusty pos and the structure is terrible. But..... The fenders and steps are in perfect condition and the axles and wheels are in perfect condition. Now I need to measure the width of the axles or should I say how long they are and how wide the frame of the current trailer is so that I'm not too narrow or wide for my trailer.

I'm considering cutting the steps and fenders off of that trailer and removing the springs, axles, wheels and tires and installing them on my trailer.

Now I can plasma cut the pieces or use a cut off wheel to perfectly cut away the needed pieces to make this work assuming the axles are not too wide.

This would mean I would just weld on new hangers and install the axles under my trailer. Then remove my fenders and cut off my brackets to accommodate the new steps and fenders. I can weld it and install it pretty much all myself and I know a good friend who can assist with welding and cutting (that's what he does).

Ideas on the matter. It's mostly labor and not a lot of buying any parts. I can get the pos trailer for ~400 and I would fully plan on cutting it up and scrapping it. It's very rusty.

Then sell my fenders that are in very good shape and a 3 of the wheels and tires.

Ideas from the peanut gallery are needed.

The only hang up is the trailer width. Idk that domination bc I forgot to look at it when I was there tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 11-05-2013, 10:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Having F'd with homemade trailers in the past, getting the axles parallel enough to avoid accelerated tire wear would be my concern.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:45 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
Having F'd with homemade trailers in the past, getting the axles parallel enough to avoid accelerated tire wear would be my concern.
Not mine.

Seriously though, you would need to tack weld a jig to the axles to square them up in theory. Not sure if this would work in practice.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 11-06-2013, 01:07 AM
MC Maniac

With my super OCD I'm not worried about being square. It will be square. My welder friend is TravisX9 and his OCD may be worse than mine. He welds stuff to very tight tolerances for a living. I would really be helping him lol and be the Indian vs being the chief.

I just don't know if it's worth the effort. :/

Quote:
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 11-06-2013, 01:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
My question on this is does the original axle need moved to keep balance correct? I'm had a friend wanting me to do this to his trailer a while back and we weren't sure on axle placement. I was thinking mark centerline of axle, remove single axle, and space the tandems evenly from original centerline. But I don't have a tandem trailer for reference.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-15, 1993 Prostar S&S
Tandem dim's

Wow. You guys take on some great projects. I'm lucky if I can get my teak to look good.

Kyle, I just bought a 93 190 and it is on a tandem trailer in my warehouse. Let me know what pics and dim's you need and I'll do my best.

Separately, it is in pretty nice shape, but there is quite a bit of rust chunking out of the drain holes in the cross bars. Ohio boat. Don't think it has seen any salt. Wondering if this is normal for it's age. Appears structurally sound, but wondering what I would have to do to stop any further progress.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2013, 10:28 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_craig View Post
Wow. You guys take on some great projects. I'm lucky if I can get my teak to look good.

Kyle, I just bought a 93 190 and it is on a tandem trailer in my warehouse. Let me know what pics and dim's you need and I'll do my best.

Separately, it is in pretty nice shape, but there is quite a bit of rust chunking out of the drain holes in the cross bars. Ohio boat. Don't think it has seen any salt. Wondering if this is normal for it's age. Appears structurally sound, but wondering what I would have to do to stop any further progress.
What a beautiful boat you have there.

I do believe the single axle needs to be moved forward. Before wasting anyone's time I need to find if the axles will work for the conversion. If so then I would say a measurement from the tail end of the trailer to center of rear and front axles would be awesome. This will give me an idea on how far I need to move mine. It will also tell me if the crossmember support beams that hold the bunks on are in the same place on a single and tandem. I may have you measure the beams to the tail of the trailer just to have them for reference.

Assuming the beams are the same on the single and the tandem then hanging the shackles and springs will be the hardest part. I don't want it dog trailing behind the truck and I sure don't want it eating tires.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-06-2013, 09:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-15, 1993 Prostar S&S
Here's what I got.

90.5" back of trailer to center of front axle.
59" back of trailer to center of rear axle.

Hubs look like 32" center-to-center, so I need to double check the measurements, but both axles are inside the cross-members on my trailer.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2013, 11:17 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Kyle, thinking about the other night when we talked about it... Why not price out the cost of an axle and 2 hub assemblies from Quality Trailers VS buying the Malibu trailer? You'd have all brand new parts and an exact fit.

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 11-07-2013, 12:24 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
Kyle, thinking about the other night when we talked about it... Why not price out the cost of an axle and 2 hub assemblies from Quality Trailers VS buying the Malibu trailer? You'd have all brand new parts and an exact fit.
Because I want matching axles. Yours is round factory is square. I want them same length. I want all of the stainless brake hardware off of the bu trailer. I don't want to have to buy fenders. Go price them and paint them. I don't want to fabricate steps.

Finally quality trailer is no longer in business.

Is that enough reasons???

Quote:
Quote: