Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-04-2013, 08:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X30 6.2 Ilmor
Tundra CrewMax 5.7 Towing review

..no really off topic..but
Had a chance to Tow a medium heavy load from San Diego to Phoenix and back last week.
20' enclosed Car Hauler/Toy trailer., tandem axle , 4 wheel electric Brakes.. 3500 lbs empty
Load - was approx 4800 lbs of tight packed sound equipment 4' hi- front to back.

Weight Distro hitch

Tundra 5.7 , tow package, with Trd Cold Air intake and Trd Dual cat-back exhaust
Electric brake controller.

Est trailer load 8200 lbs

Tongue wt est 1200-1300 lbs - after the fact

Due to some package necessities , I had to place some heavy gear in the nose of the trailer
Wt Distro hitch helped compensate, but would load differently if routine ...

Interstate 8 was the Major route

Towing and Braking
Towing - Sea Level thru 4100 ft. Rig was able to maintain 55- in Most climbs without much effort.
60+ required a heavier foot but if you need to pass uphill , there is power to do so.
Used 4th and 5th gears on most climbs 2000-3500 rpm
Heavy steep windy, climbs required 3rd gear and 3500 rpms. 2nd and 4000 once. 6000. Is redline
Slowest speed was 45mph , only vehicles passing were Cars and Non trailing trucks.
Very steep and Windy.

Cruising on Flat (ish) ground in 5th @ 2100 rpm for 60mph

Braking- breaking on all terrains and grades felt sure and safe with electric Brake combo..
Note - our electric brake did become disengaged once (Faulty 7pin) and we used only the Tundras brake system exiting a downhill off ramp to fix.
Though you could feel it, it was nice to no the truck could step in and help..

Fuel economy was a dismal 8.5 through the whole trip...lots of hills, and a bit of speeding 65-70

If I towed heavy more often , I would NOT used the Toyota TRd dual exhaust..
It sounds nice when you start the engine or step on the gas...nice low growl...
When you cruise and most hwy speeds the sound goes away...
However, when Towing the sound is present on all hill climbs and level speeds over 62 Mph

Shouldn't really be towing over 55mph...but you get the idea..
Old 11-05-2013, 01:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
I've got a 20' four place enclosed motorcycle tandem axle trailer that we've towed from Spokane to Reno behind a Tundra a few times. No upgrades to the Toyota intake or exhaust, but our results are pretty much identical to yours. We didn't use a weight distribution hitch, but did use a brake controller. I'm sure were over a 1000 lbs lighter in the trailer. Only complaint from us is the mpg. The most recent trip we just had two of us and took my 2003 Sierra Denali. Ended up with a little better mpg, but we had a lighter load in the trailer. Tundra always felt sure footed and our route includes a lot of ups and downs through passes.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 197TT #28 of 100
That is pretty much the same experience I have with my truck - a great truck, great motor and poor fuel economy.
2005 ProStar 197TT, #28 of 100

Broken Bow, OK vacation cabin for rent -
www.sipnskicabin.com
Old 11-09-2013, 03:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 mastercraft prostar 190
Want a Pickup truck with real towing ability? Buy an American made. Forget the oriental imposters.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Current: '03 X2 w/ MCX. Former: '91 Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster02 View Post
Want a Pickup truck with real towing ability? Buy an American made. Forget the oriental imposters.
Really? Lack of "real towing ability" based on what?

And for the record, I've got a Ram 2500 diesel sitting in my driveway--Right next to my daily driver Tacoma doublecab.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

There you go. When you want to haul the heavy load without any effort, use the Dodge, the other is a toy. Been down that "other" road before, never again.

Last edited by roadster02; 11-09-2013 at 05:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-09-2013, 05:16 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
I love the American made argument.

This is exactly why I switched from the American made truck to a truck that was actually built in America, rather than Mexico. I also liked the fact that my tax dollars were not spent to bail Toyota out.

Lastly, the Tundra will out tow anything the American counterparts have to offer.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Current: '03 X2 w/ MCX. Former: '91 Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post

This is exactly why I switched from the American made truck to a truck that was actually built in America, rather than Mexico. I also liked the fact that my tax dollars were not spent to bail Toyota out.

Lastly, the Tundra will out tow anything the American counterparts have to offer.
My point exactly.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post

+1 Not only is the Tundra assembled in America but it uses more part's built in the USA then the domestics.

I heard that Toyota is working on a 3/4 ton version of the Tundra to compete with the Ford F250, Ram 2500, Chevy 2500
Old 11-09-2013, 09:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Ford, Chevy, Dodge were all building trucks when the others still were having trouble perfecting the rickshaw. If you like foreign, buy foreign, just please stop singing their praises. When I countered by singing the domestic product praises you guys get all ruffled. I was not intending to start an argument, just my opinion. Oh, and by the way my FORD Superduty was built in the USA, and Ford did NOT take a bailout. I will say no more.