Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-10-2013, 02:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X30 6.2 Ilmor
X 25 SS engine size

We are shopping for a MC X25 Salt Series (new or newer)
We have been in a few and like the X25 layout the best and seems to perform good as an all around boat based on reviews in this forum...ie no one seems to hate it...

As water sports go, we Surf and Tube.... our kids dont care for WakeBoarding too much..but we do have them...

That said, I would like to know how critical the engine choice is in the SALT Series?
We would have NO ballast in most of the time, Tubeing and Cruising..18-30mph

We would have ballast for Surfing 9-11mph?...

Do I really need the engine upgrade ? or is that mostly for Heavy Ballast WakeBoarding durablilty and performance?

Not against bigger engine, but trying to keep my options open while searching for SS boats and deals..
thanks in advance
Old 10-10-2013, 06:46 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 x25
I have the 5.7, board, surf and cruise, more than enought for us, if you have to have the biggest, and got money to burn and fuel, then go with the bigger power plant, if not I'm sure you'll be happy with the 5.7. The 25 is such a great boat, any motor in it will make you smile .
Old 10-11-2013, 03:38 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2013 X-25
I've heard that the 6.0 is necessary on a larger/heavier boat like the x25. X2 types it works ok. If I was doing it, i'd get the 6.2 which has the highest gph so thats less gas if you surf and wakeboard. Anyone knows if you can even order an x25 with the 7.4 ?
Old 10-11-2013, 07:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X30 SS - Delivery this wkend!
I just ordered and X30 with 6.2L. My opinion is you can never have too many horses in a boat that weighs 4-5000lbs. MOst of what I test drove had the 5.7L, and it was fine but once you load up the boat with people and ballast, it will def lose economy. I drove an X30 with the 5.7 then another with 6.0 it was a world of difference...then I drove G23 with 450 and it was better still - I can only imagine how good it is with the new 550! A 6.2L wont have to work as hard, and wont cost any more to run if you're not always mashing the throttle (def a risk with more power!). And when the kids in the tube ask for "faster!" you'll be able to do it.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:47 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2007, 5.7
Great feedback on all the engine sizes, in particular can anybody tell me how the 5.7 in the x25 would compare to the mcx in and 08 star, and or x2?