Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 10-02-2013, 07:22 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X-Star 2006
2006 Xstar Amp Problems

My boat has factory JL amps and speakers. Two weeks ago my 6 channel amp started smoking, I pulled the 60 amp fuse and finished the day on the lake. I called JL and they told me that the original 6450M was discontinued and recommended the M600/6. I ordered it and got it in this past Friday.

I installed it in the EXACT same sequence as the original. When I went to bridge channels 5 and 6 to power the sub; the + on channel 5 was stripped and wouldn't tighten. I decided to just run the sub from channel 6 only since I was going to the lake the next day. The sub has zero sound comming from it AND I have a high pitched wine coming from the speakers when the key is on and when in the ACC position.

I pulled all of the wiring back out and cleaned the connections. I also checked the resistance in the ground cables. I put it all back together and still have zero sound from the sub and have the high pitched wine coming from the other speakers.

HELP!
Old 10-04-2013, 03:16 PM
TT Newbie

Any ideas? Anyone????
Old 10-04-2013, 04:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
If the noise is present with no RCA signal cables hooked up, then this tells ups that the amp is generating the noise. Are all used chnls producing the noise? Is it with engine running, engine off or all the time? Whats the battery voltage?
Old 11-01-2013, 03:10 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the reply MLA. The noise is not present when the RCA is hooked up. All the channels that are powered by that AMP are producing the noise. My tower speakers that are powered by another amp do not produce the noise, however both amps share the same power and ground source. My batteries have 12.48 and 12.43 volts. Any ideas?
Old 11-01-2013, 08:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
crashmore22,
You have got to totally substitute all interface external to the amplifier in order to determine if this noise is a factor of the internal amplifier or an external cause. You have not completed that mission yet. Temporarily swap EVERY (I repeat....every) wire with the tower amplifier that has no noise. You should only need to connect a single channel for this test to provide a conclusion. If you have noise where the tower amplifier did not then the issue is likely an internal one. If there's no noise then the cause is still external and you have overlooked something.
You stated that you received an amplifier with an existing problem (terminal). Have you contacted the dealer that sold you the amplifier?
Old 11-01-2013, 10:03 PM
MC Master Poster

The first thing you should have done is find out why the original amp smoked. It's not a good idea to just connect everything as it was without checking for shorts and cross-wiring, bad grounds, voltage drop, etc. Measure the resistance on each speaker wire pair and check to make sure you don't have any connection from any speaker's wires to another speaker's wires. For example, if you see about 3-4 Ohms between the left front and right rear, you have a problem.