Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 11-24-2013, 10:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
5 inboat speakers?

So I had a thought. 2002 Xstar. There is a single XS650 on Ebay for sale. Thought about putting it in as an add on to the 4 soon-to-be xs650's going in the boat. I will be powering them with a WS HT-4, 110 per at 4 ohms. Is it possible/logical/worth a darn to add a 5th for more depth? Could I some how power it with the same HT-4 without any possible damage to the amp? Just bored, in Winter like conditions outside, watching a boring Denver/New England game. Just a thought, how often do you see a single matching inboat speaker for sale?
Old 11-24-2013, 11:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Well, the football game became interesting at least...
Old 11-24-2013, 11:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, Indmar 351
Send a message via Yahoo to JMann
I hope you didn't give up on the game. Just went into overtime.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:10 AM
MC Fanatic

Watchin every minute....good one
Old 11-25-2013, 04:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Bumpity bump
Old 11-25-2013, 06:19 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
I say no. Unless you do 2 more.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:22 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristarboarder View Post
So I had a thought. 2002 Xstar. There is a single XS650 on Ebay for sale. Thought about putting it in as an add on to the 4 soon-to-be xs650's going in the boat. I will be powering them with a WS HT-4, 110 per at 4 ohms. Is it possible/logical/worth a darn to add a 5th for more depth? Could I some how power it with the same HT-4 without any possible damage to the amp? Just bored, in Winter like conditions outside, watching a boring Denver/New England game. Just a thought, how often do you see a single matching inboat speaker for sale?
"depth"- as in, bass? Go for it- You'll want to add a separate amp for it, but it is the best way to add balls to the system. As long as the other amp(s) can cross the smaller speakers at a higher frequency (80Hz-150Hz, depending on what works best), you should be able to get a lot more out of the system. Do it right, though- there are plenty of threads here with good instructions.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Thanks for the replies. I figured that 5 would be kind of odd, and I didn't want to buy another amp for just one coaxial. I went today and sat in the back seat, and there would be a lot of speakers in close proximity. It is gonna be loud as h%LL anyhow...Just curious if this was an option, as I had never seen only 5 installed; especially when they sell speakers as a pair....
Old 11-25-2013, 10:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristarboarder View Post
So you're placing 4 - 6.5s in the cabin and powering them on a 4 channel amp? I'll assume that from what I gather....

I did the same thing last year in a similar machine and I was modestly satisfied....however something was missing and I was actually a bit disappointed but not the end of the world.... I am not needy of a lot of sound just a decent quality of umph for the good of the cause... so this fall, I had scraped and saved enough to buy an 8" Bazooka sub-woofer (self-powered amp). Bingo.... it fit the bill for what I had expected out of a decent sounding setup on a poor man's budget such as myself....

$0.02

And for the record, I also snagged a small and inexpensive sub-woofer output controller which is a must in my opinion.

Sonic Electronix dot com

Here's a writeup of my humble but happy ears installation. Just throwing you an idea for reference. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...20&postcount=5

The XS-650s should bring it to life and then some.

Best

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 11-25-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Thanks, I appreciate the link. I think I am like you (assuming) not necessarily wanting the loudest boat in the cove or party spot, but a high emphasis in SQ. I have little children who love watersports and boating, so blasting the stereo isn't a priority...But like most on this forum, I, we, take a high pride in our investment, and love to have the best (or nearly so) in our "hobby". If I want to rock it, I can...kinda like having a muscle car or sweet sports car. Drive it daily, but tear it up when on demand...

Here's what I got: soon to be installed

2 WS Rev8's, powered by a bridged Syn4. 400x2
4 WS XS650's, inboats, powered by a WS HT4 110x4
1 JL Audio 12w6 powered by a JL Audio HD750/1
(1) WS420 EQ
Dual cd player, iPod hookup, etc (came with) mainly for iPod, etc.

should fit the bill...