Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 12-07-2013, 09:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star, Custom Wrap
Tower Speaker Suggestions

I have a pair of MB8s and a pair of Pro 60s, running on a syn4.

Do I buy a syn2 to power these 4 and get another pair of pro60s to run on the syn4, or do I just get a pair of Rev 10s?

Budget is kind of tight so trying to get a little better overall sound/volume without breaking the bank. I know the Rev 10s will completely upgrade everything but they are also pricey. If I am just looking for a little extra will the more power with a syn2 and extra pair of pro 60s do it for me?
Old 12-08-2013, 07:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
rydog,

In theory, a Syn-2 would power those 2 pair of speakers, with an increase of about 50W per speaker, or 200W total to the tower. But, ive never been a fan of driving the Double-up on a single 2 chnl amp. You cannot effectively tune each speaker type and the 2 different types will not actually divide the available wattage evenly. The ideal amp is a 4 chnl like the Syn-4, even though its a little light on power for the Pro-60 HLCSs.

Without knowing how the setup is tuned, its hard to say if the SQ and volume can be improved with the current setup.

If you could find another pair of pro-60's, a Syn-2 would drive them spot on. Down side is, this would probably cost as much a pair of Rev-10, since you already have the Syn-4 hat will deliver 400W rms x 2 for a pair of Rev-10.

Adding a 2nd set of Pro-60, powered right, would increase your volume but the sound quality would not. The Single pair of larger Rev-10 with 400W on the Syn-4, would give the volume and sound quality that 2 pair of smaller Pro-60, the MB8's and 2 amps will.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Yeah currently my 4 tower speakers are powered by a syn4 but I do not know how they are tuned. I bought the boat last summer and never spent time to check that out, although I will this next summer. When you say the sound quality would not with another pro 60 what do you mean?

I'm still debating my situation but I am trying to stumble across some deals on eBay.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
The primary goal of the pro-60 HLCD was to project at rider distance. Close up, they lacked mid-bass balance. This was due to their size and was common with ALL 6.5 HLCD's. So adding a 2nd pair will increase the volume for the rider in tow, but the near-field sound quality will not improve.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Alright I gotcha, appreciate the clarification.