Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 11-04-2013, 10:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft prostar
Haha yes it was a hole saw. Wasn't thinking straight. Though maybe the nail and string woulda been a more time efficient choice..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-04-2013, 10:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft prostar
JimN. Other than breaking the ground on the VSR do you have any suggestions on how to get it to cycle on and off with the ignition. Like it currently fuctions. Its power comes from the large gauge wiring that goes to the alt and batteries I believe. Id have to have a relay between 2 gauge wire? And big enough for all that current? Idk if it has been or will cause problems by lifting the ground. Haven't been able to find any yet. But nothing is ever that simple.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:43 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal2vin View Post
JimN. Other than breaking the ground on the VSR do you have any suggestions on how to get it to cycle on and off with the ignition. Like it currently fuctions. Its power comes from the large gauge wiring that goes to the alt and batteries I believe. Id have to have a relay between 2 gauge wire? And big enough for all that current? Idk if it has been or will cause problems by lifting the ground. Haven't been able to find any yet. But nothing is ever that simple.

Break the connection on the hot lead. Breaking the ground causes the voltage to seek ground through all other connections, to varying degrees of success, based on what's between them and ground. If you lift the ground to something that's connected to a controller (ECM), it can cause problems for that because it may not want to see 12VDC on its input connections.

If you have a small gauge wire that's switched and need to make/break a connection that carries high current, you can use a Bosch-style relay. If you have a distribution block, you would use the existing switched wire to trip the relay on tab 85, ground tab 86, connect the power source to tab 30 and connect the device to tab 87a. These relays handle 30-40A, so select the part according to the need. Higher current relays exist, too.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-2
Cal2Vin, if you could shed a little light please.... before you started the stereo upgrade.
I assume you had 2 batteries (not in parallel) wired to a Blue Sea 3 way battery switch (off/on/combine). Was your factory installed amp wired directly to one of the batteries? Or was your amp powered from a wire that ran from the Blue Sea battery switch to a fuse panel and then to the amp?

Thanks so much!