Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 06-29-2016, 11:21 AM
TT Regular

Boat: ,88 Prostar 190
Fiberglass hull damage - cosmetic or structural??

I had a lift failure recently which caused my '88 PS 190 to crash down onto the lift cradle. Fortunately the running gear didn't get affected but I have deep gasshes in each side of the hull where the I-beam buried itself into the fiberglass. These gashes run across the corner where the bottom of the boat meets the side of the boat and are about even with the driver's seat. Total length of each gash is about 1" and they are 1/2" deep at the deepest point.

Question is whether these gashes have made any impact on the hull integrity (I am not taking on any water from what i can tell) or if I am OK to simply fill with marine tex, put some gel coat over it and be done.

Thanks for the help
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2016, 11:55 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
need to see the gashes...a close up.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:43 PM
TT Regular

yeah, thought of that after I left the lake. Will try to get some pics this weekend. I was hoping someone would be able to tell me that area is so thick with fiberglass that Ill be OK. Guess not?
Old 06-29-2016, 04:52 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: wooden, boat, 1908, putt
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardycm View Post
yeah, thought of that after I left the lake. Will try to get some pics this weekend. I was hoping someone would be able to tell me that area is so thick with fiberglass that Ill be OK. Guess not?
Just a guess but I say it is ok in the sense that you are inquiring. Yes, it needs repair but I'd not worry about structural integrity unless you can see an obvious ah-sh!t that I do not see. That area is tough as it gets. Use your judgment but if it appears to be just a gouge, I'd run it all summer. Maybe a spot of resin to seal the layers under the adjacent gel, then sand it out later and fix it like you want.
66 Million Suckers.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 06-29-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:07 AM
TT Regular

Here are some pics. Is this shallow enough to not affect hull integrity? I'm thinking it is ok.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2016, 08:08 AM
TT Regular

And another
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2016, 08:13 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Not an expert and did not stay at a holiday inn last night but not structural however into the resin far enough where I would fix.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 07-02-2016, 09:18 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: wooden, boat, 1908, putt
If it were mine; clean up the damaged area with a Dremel tool and make all of the edges smooth and transitional (easy enough).

Mix resin and hardener with 1/4" chop strand (a 3 oz mixture will do all of that and have plenty left over). Add silica to the mixture to thicken the epoxy to a paste-type consistency. Add color is you prefer but the epoxy mixture will be white from the silica. You'll never notice the chop once it lays in.

Put the mixture in the area and work it smooth with a plastic putty knife. Ever how you leave it to cure is how you'll have to work it with sand paper so get it close to finish as possible as you lay it in.

You could practice the process before you apply. I have a bag of chop and silica if I can send you a small amount to keep you from having to buy a bag of each. 3M resin and hardener is readily available at Lowes or similar in a quart quantity. Mix it all in a 20 oz. plastic cup and apply. Add the hardener last. With a medium cure hardener, you'll have about 8-11 minutes of pot time before it pops.

If you want to seal the area for the summer and work on it later, just add some epoxy to seal the surfaces. Same basic process as above, just no admixture in the epoxy, which will make the epoxy have no thickened consistency. Apply with a brush. It will not fill the gouge as would the epoxy with the admixture. Either way, I do not think the gouge is a summer show-stopper.

Or not...

To give you an idea of how the admixture epoxy looks once cured, here is a picture of a repair I did to fill in a damaged corner on a fiberglass platform. This is with the mixture as I described above. I used a mold from a plastic jug to get the curvature so your fix is much smaller and easier.
Attached Images

66 Million Suckers.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 07-02-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:21 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
does not look structural as there are no cracks radiating out from the damage. I would follow waterlogged's instructions for a longer term fix. in the short term - I would patch with some marine epoxy with silica.

Are those gashes on the chine? where the bottom of hull meets the side of the boat? Can you show a pic a little further back to show where the gash exactly is?

West Systems sells excellent products.

I would dremel out the corners out of the damage to remove any points where stress can cause stress cracks.

To match the gel coat will be a bit tougher - U.S. Composites http://www.uscomposites.com/

sell some good products to color gel coat - you can order the colorants and match the gel. gel coat does not change color when it cures. You'll also need a wax to allow the gel coat wax to cure correctly... they will help you.

It all depends to what level you want the repair to be - repaired or restored.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Ouch. Technically I'd say the bottom edge is a semi structural part, kinda like the bottom flange on an I beam.
Having said that, that is a small nick, I'd for sure fill it and go. Monitor the repair.
Worst case would be if you were hitting 2-3' rollers a lot, which i am guessing doesn't happen much.