Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2013, 08:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Agree on higher mounts. You may want to consider an extra plate on the side of the mount to drop down and screw into the side of the area below the mount. This would help with lateral support for a really tall mount

Or, skip that. Not sure how much lateral force the motor sees. Seems like normal is torsional due to spinning the prop. This would seem to result in one mount (left one I think) being in tension and the other in compression.

How are the rear mounts looking?

Another option would be to see if there is a mount that slides into the engine with a "drop" to it. This would result in the eyelet being say two inches below the round part that slides to the engine.

Another option would be a rework or modification of there the mount connects to the engine. Pics of this?
When I did some research on these type of mounts and shaft alignment they really don't suggest you run them so high on the threaded stud because of the lateral forces you describe. You can't see it in the pic but when you try to move the motor siedways it puts a lot force on the stud and that in turn makes the trunnion bind, making it difficult to move the motor.

The rear mounts look good, no spacer plate, and I have the trunnion sitting halfway on the threaded stud.

I'm going to inquire about different mounts today. If thats a no go my fabricater wants to build up the base of the front mount so I can drop the front trunnion an inch or so. Not sure I want to add another spacer plate like J.mccreight suggested, the one i have now seems to effect the way everthing lines up. I'd like to do away with the plate entirely.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
I'm with Mccreight, maybe I am missing something, but I don't see how more spacer is going to negatively affect anything.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:10 PM
MC Fanatic

[quote=CruisinGA;988206]I'm with Mccreight, maybe I am missing something, but I don't see how more spacer is going to negatively affect anything.[/QUOTE

The spacer plate will work but I would like the mount sitting on the stringer. One reason is with the mount on the stringer I can run the stock inch and a half bolt vs a three inch. And if I go higher, now i'm looking at a four inch or better bolt.

DIM put out a call to PCM this morning and they are sending out new taller mounts. Looking foward to giving them a shot.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:20 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
[quote=Bouyhead;988257]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
I'm with Mccreight, maybe I am missing something, but I don't see how more spacer is going to negatively affect anything.[/QUOTE

The spacer plate will work but I would like the mount sitting on the stringer. One reason is with the mount on the stringer I can run the stock inch and a half bolt vs a three inch. And if I go higher, now i'm looking at a four inch or better bolt.

DIM put out a call to PCM this morning and they are sending out new taller mounts. Looking foward to giving them a shot.
Hope the taller mounts work. This will be a really cool set-up if you can get it all together.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 10-28-2013, 05:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Malibu Echelon and 1985 Stars and Stripes
It appears you aren't using a PCM transmission? I think that would make everything work better with the alignment issues. The engine is designed to sit level, while the transmission has the angle. Now, with that said, I think taller spacers would solve your issue without harmful effects if that gives you the correct angle for the shaft.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:58 PM
MC Fanatic

[quote=thatsmrmastercraft;

Hope the taller mounts work. This will be a really cool set-up if you can get it all together.[/QUOTE]

Did you just say if?
Old 10-28-2013, 08:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethro View Post
It appears you aren't using a PCM transmission? I think that would make everything work better with the alignment issues. The engine is designed to sit level, while the transmission has the angle. Now, with that said, I think taller spacers would solve your issue without harmful effects if that gives you the correct angle for the shaft.
When I got the schematic from PCM with all the dimensions it showed the PCM 1.23 gear box with the angled flange. I was pretty sure it wasn't going to fit as the overall dimension with the 1.23 box were longer so they fitted it with a 1.1
Old 10-29-2013, 12:40 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1991 MasterCraft Prostar 190 PowerSlot
Send a message via AIM to DooSPX
So you are using a LHR 1:1 correct? Not the RHR?

Trying to keep slalom alive

Need a new prop to fit your needs? Call OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid, than to open it and prove it"?
Old 10-29-2013, 02:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooSPX View Post
So you are using a LHR 1:1 correct? Not the RHR?
Yes, standard 1.1
Old 10-29-2013, 04:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft Limited 351W slot
If you go higher on the mounts I would use a crossmember to tie thing together