Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 05-20-2014, 10:38 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 X1
Two Questions, an offer, and a cautionary tale with pics

Hello all:

I appreciate all the past trailer advice. As some folks may recall I had a catostrophic trailer brake failure that trashed all four disc brakes, etc.

Here is the new UFP actuator:

Name:  New tongue.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  50.7 KB

Here is the new hubs, rotors, actuators:

Name:  New Hubs.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  55.9 KB

My first question is how often do I need to do maintenance on these hubs? It looks like new grease can be inserted into them. Should this happen annually, every XX miles? thanks

My second question is about a Boat Buckle. I installed the front BB on what appeared to be the old chain attachment point? Is this where other folks have been attaching the front of their boats?

Name:  front BB.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  69.6 KB

Finally, here is the old Reliable actuator. Does anyone have a use for this? I'll ship it to anyone who want it for the cost of shipping. Buyer/recipient beware that I think some aspect of this failed and ruined my brakes but some of you all are much more mechanical than me so maybe it has some use.

Thanks, Steve.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2014, 01:09 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
I think a better angle for that boat buckle would be to attach to the front post of the winch stand. That way, if the winch strap failed, there would be very little slack available.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 05-20-2014, 01:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, Indmar 351
Send a message via Yahoo to JMann
I'm not an expert but I would do it like this. I just did mine and drill a 7/16" hole all the way through the square tube frame. I believe one of the goals is to hold the boat down against the trailer as well as be there in case your wench strap breaks.
Excuse the crude jpeg.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2014, 01:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 96 ProStar 190 LT1
Looks like you have bearing buddies on your hubs. Get familiar with them...as they are spring tension and will start to move in when grease is not pushing against spring. At that point, hit them with grease gun. If you do most of your launching by yourself....and your trailer sits under water longer than most...keep closer eye on them or hit with grease gun more often. My grease gun sits in garage ready to go and checking hubs is just part of my clean up after the weekend.

Last edited by mgs96ps; 05-20-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:16 PM
TT Regular

Take a look at this thread. What do you guys think of this mounting location:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=46699
Old 05-20-2014, 02:58 PM
oz5ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs96ps View Post
Looks like you have bearing buddies on your hubs. Get familiar with them...as they are spring tension and will start to move in when grease is not pushing against spring. At that point hit, them with grease gun. If you do most of your launching by yourself....and your trailer sits under water longer than most...keep closer eye on them or hit with grease gun more often. My grease gun sits in garage ready to go and checking hubs is just part of my clean up after the weekend.
Here is my opinion (opinions are like arm pits and brown eyes, everybody has at least one) - I use white lithium in my grease gun, mainly because it can be used for multiple applications (ball joints, etc.). I only have one grease gun and once you load a tube, removing it with grease still in the tube will create a mess.

Best you look at this link because not all grease is created equally - boat/marine grease is towards the bottom of the page - http://www.etrailer.com/faq-grease.aspx

Best advice, don't mix grease in your bearings - if you are not sure what grease is in your trailer axle/bearings today, then I would perform a complete removal, clean and re-grease.

Additionally, after I grease my bearing buddies, I crawl under the trailer with a rag and clean any excess grease (OCD) that may have escaped around the back bearing seal. If you don't, you will have a mess on the inside half of your rims. It is also a good time to inspect the seal for deterioration and to look at the brake components for wear/loose parts.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-2
WHich model UFP actuator did you install? Part numbers? I'm looking at swapping mine out.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:15 AM
TT Regular

I would recommend doing it for peace of mind.

Here is what happened to me: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=60025

Post #11 has the new actuator I used. I had mine painted to match.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited by SpokaneSteve; 05-22-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-2
Thanks!