Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 10-28-2013, 08:05 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
I think I do remember that conversation now. I didn't do a home theater in the house I just built but I did do 6 zones of audio and used all Jamo. I'm very happy with the bang for the buck.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:51 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
I installed a TC-P50ST60 like yours and it looked good before setup & break-in and it was downright impressive once those were done. The black level & detail in 007's tux and shirt in the restaurant scene from Skyfall was amazing.

Panasonic lost almost $1B last year and, thanks to retailers like Best Buy setting their LCD/LED TVs to "torch mode" and decreasing the brightness of the plasma TVs, the number of plasma TVs sold decreased drastically. They weren't making more than a few points on the plasma TVs, if even that, so I doubt they make much more on LCD/LED TVs (I check their prices often and my Panasonic distributor is a national distributor for them, so they have a good idea of BB's cost).
That was most certainly the case when I bought mine. It looked nowhere near as good in the store as the little Samsung LED at about the same price and 5" larger display for the Samsung. I have had good luck with my Samsung LED, but the one I have is still head and shoulders above the $1K displays they are currently selling. And given our off-angle viewing needs for this one and how well reviewed the ST60 was, it was a no brainer. Plus, the guy helping us at BB was solidly in the camp for the ST60.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:45 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
That was most certainly the case when I bought mine. It looked nowhere near as good in the store as the little Samsung LED at about the same price and 5" larger display for the Samsung. I have had good luck with my Samsung LED, but the one I have is still head and shoulders above the $1K displays they are currently selling. And given our off-angle viewing needs for this one and how well reviewed the ST60 was, it was a no brainer. Plus, the guy helping us at BB was solidly in the camp for the ST60.
It's too bad brighter is seen as better, rather than accurate color, contrast, black level and blur-free motion. I think I have spoken with 2 people at BB who were in the plasma camp and I don't think they lasted long. That's not the "company line". Oddly enough, the Sears close to my house has several who are a lot more objective about this.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 190, 1988, Ford 351 240hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
It's too bad brighter is seen as better, rather than accurate color, contrast, black level and blur-free motion. I think I have spoken with 2 people at BB who were in the plasma camp and I don't think they lasted long. That's not the "company line". Oddly enough, the Sears close to my house has several who are a lot more objective about this.
The guys in the plasma camps are the magnolia guys within the store and the occasional home theater guru working the core or normal home theater area. That being said, I've told customers this - If they want a great tv which does it all in a well lit room go with an LED. If you really want to watch something then its going to be a plasma.

The type of LED also makes a difference, I have an XBR8 which is full backlit with localized dimming. This type of display is head and shoulders above anything side lit.

1988 ProStar 190 red/gray
-Ford 351
-OJ 13x11 prop
-Kenwood Stereo

Need a manual go here http://www.mastercraft.com/knowledge/owners_manuals/
Old 10-28-2013, 04:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190, 351 Indmar
Wow, crazy to hear about Panasonic dropping plasmas. After doing my research a while back, I found several recommendations for Panasonic's ST series plasmas. I bought a 50" and it is incredible. Even during the day next to a sliding glass door I think the picture is awesome. Oh well, "changes aren't permanent, but change is" as Neil Peart put it so long ago.
1989 ProStar 190 with "Safe T Top", 351 Ford, GT 40 heads painted Ford Blue, Elec. Ign, 1:1, 720 hours, 4 blade prop, PP 6.5, removable platform brackets, custom color from factory, hot water shower, Boat Buddy & LED lights on trailer
2010 D3 Z7, 2 @ 32 off, 34 mph so far
Old 10-29-2013, 02:32 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStar190Fan View Post

The type of LED also makes a difference, I have an XBR8 which is full backlit with localized dimming. This type of display is head and shoulders above anything side lit.
That's what I have in our upstairs media room. One of the first Samsung full array LEDs. It is a fantastic display.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, MariStar 200 VRS, 1998, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 89MC View Post
Oh well, "changes aren't permanent, but change is" as Neil Peart put it so long ago.
Nice to see a fellow Rush fan out there.