Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 10-23-2013, 12:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
I'd like to hear the Dali speakers. Heard a lot of good things about them.

Ever been to Bjorn's?
Yes, as it's not too far from Dallas, I have been to Bjorn's in San Antonio, but not recently enough to be relevant.
I have visited Hanson Audio Video in Dayton Ohio several times in the last couple of years, which is kind of an unlikely location for a high end salon. They have a heavy emphasis on 2-channel.

Frankly, once you get to the price range of the Dali MS5s, I could be equally satisfied with any number of speaker brands.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:01 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStar190Fan View Post
One thing should be noted that component can still give you an identical picture at 1080p, it will require equipment that is equipped to output a component signal at 1080p but it is possible.
Not after the first of the year- this is called 'Analog Sunset' and any DVD/BD player made after a certain date will reduce the resolution from the analog outputs to 480p. I consider it vandalism- people didn't buy their players OR discs with the intention of putting up with the BS from Hollywood and Congress. Fortunately, companies like Vanco and originally, HD Fury, make devices that will down convert to component.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:02 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo9 View Post
i thought the federales were trying to ban component connections because they aren't copy protected.
Typical for lawmakers- they write laws for things they know nothing about. If it's copy protected, they had to test the viability of the protection and that means they have to come up with a way to bypass it. Also, people who make the most copies don't use analog video, they copy code.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:11 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
Yes, as it's not too far from Dallas, I have been to Bjorn's in San Antonio, but not recently enough to be relevant.
I have visited Hanson Audio Video in Dayton Ohio several times in the last couple of years, which is kind of an unlikely location for a high end salon. They have a heavy emphasis on 2-channel.

Frankly, once you get to the price range of the Dali MS5s, I could be equally satisfied with any number of speaker brands.
I worked for a stereo shop that was the 2nd US dealer for Jamo and Bjorn's was the 1st, so we met them at CES on several occasions.

I don't know why Dayton would be an odd place for high end audio- everyone has to live somewhere, so....

The thing about having high end- neurosis comes into the picture for many people when somehow, they start to doubt that their components are of a quality level that's considered "better" or Best". Also, if you can verbalize the reasons you like your speakers, you can also verbalize why you don't like others and that's an important distinction- when someone says "I don't like them, but I can't explain why", it's a valid comment but it's not specific. OTOH, when people say something sounds 'chocolaty' and use other descriptions, I want to run.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:12 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
I went to a distributor's open house last week and the Sharp LED looked great. I still prefer plasma, but that ship has sailed- Panasonic announced that they're closing their plasma plant which pizzes me off, no end. Once again, more trumped better. Higher refresh rate (600Hz for plasma vs 120 or 240 Hz for LCD/LED) apparently doesn't make it through the filter in most peoples' mind, even though it's one of the most important specs.
I heard rumors that that might happen. We just picked up a nice little 50" Panasonic ST60 Plasma for the living room (lots of off-angle). Nice display once the break in time was behind us. That said, I have no complaints with our 55" Samsung LN55a950. I know many of them had problems. But ours still looks great in the media room nearly five years and counting.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:32 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
I heard rumors that that might happen. We just picked up a nice little 50" Panasonic ST60 Plasma for the living room (lots of off-angle). Nice display once the break in time was behind us. That said, I have no complaints with our 55" Samsung LN55a950. I know many of them had problems. But ours still looks great in the media room nearly five years and counting.
I installed a TC-P50ST60 like yours and it looked good before setup & break-in and it was downright impressive once those were done. The black level & detail in 007's tux and shirt in the restaurant scene from Skyfall was amazing.

Panasonic lost almost $1B last year and, thanks to retailers like Best Buy setting their LCD/LED TVs to "torch mode" and decreasing the brightness of the plasma TVs, the number of plasma TVs sold decreased drastically. They weren't making more than a few points on the plasma TVs, if even that, so I doubt they make much more on LCD/LED TVs (I check their prices often and my Panasonic distributor is a national distributor for them, so they have a good idea of BB's cost).
Old 10-27-2013, 03:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Thanks for all the feedback.

Certainly seriously considering a Panasonic Plasma. I am going to go out and look at these v. some of the larger LEDs but believe from all I read online so far, plasma is the way to go.

Also thinking all front channels will be floor standing. Got to think as to whether rears will be on-wall or directional in ceiling.

Attached is the floor plan. The TV is on the wall to the right of the fireplace (ladder wall).

I will be putting 2" wood blinds on the windows.

I also plan to use 2 layers of drywall on the ceiling with the "green goo" between them. Thinking of going that way over the sound isolating furring strips but may change my mind.

"Storage Area" (Closet) under the staircase is going to be my media closet. Going to run an IR target to this room and lots of smurf tube between the key areas.
Attached Images

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 10-27-2013, 06:13 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Thanks for all the feedback.

Certainly seriously considering a Panasonic Plasma. I am going to go out and look at these v. some of the larger LEDs but believe from all I read online so far, plasma is the way to go.

Also thinking all front channels will be floor standing. Got to think as to whether rears will be on-wall or directional in ceiling.

Attached is the floor plan. The TV is on the wall to the right of the fireplace (ladder wall).

I will be putting 2" wood blinds on the windows.

I also plan to use 2 layers of drywall on the ceiling with the "green goo" between them. Thinking of going that way over the sound isolating furring strips but may change my mind.

"Storage Area" (Closet) under the staircase is going to be my media closet. Going to run an IR target to this room and lots of smurf tube between the key areas.
Save yourself a ton of BS and use a remote that uses RF to transmit the commands. IR is more problematic. Also, make sure you don't have all hard surfaces on the walls. The amount of reflected sound will make the experience absolutely underwhelming and it will be impossible to get it to sound great, even with a program like YPAO (Yamaha) or Audyssey (Denon/Marantz, etc). Those are great programs, but they can't fix every acoustical problem.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:03 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
I worked for a stereo shop that was the 2nd US dealer for Jamo and Bjorn's was the 1st, so we met them at CES .
this is the first I have heard you speak of jamo. I've been using them for about 15 years but only several times a year. I only dabble in the surround / home audio business. Never had a complaint with jamo for the price point I am hitting. Which can vary naturally. Interestingly I don't hear as much discussion about speaker placement as I have been taught. Essentially placement and room accoustics are more important (or as important) as component choice.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:59 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
this is the first I have heard you speak of jamo. I've been using them for about 15 years but only several times a year. I only dabble in the surround / home audio business. Never had a complaint with jamo for the price point I am hitting. Which can vary naturally. Interestingly I don't hear as much discussion about speaker placement as I have been taught. Essentially placement and room accoustics are more important (or as important) as component choice.
I thought we discussed Jamo a few years ago. I hated to see them sold. I was talking to the head of the US operation and when he told me they had put all of the company stock in a holding company, I said "Aw, man! The company is being sold?" and he replied "They just want it to be in one place". I think the founders wanted to retire and that was a necessary step since it wasn't a publicly traded stock. I saw on Linkedin that the former US head has recently retired. Maybe I'll get to golf with him next year.

Bad acoustics will make the best speakers sound like garbage, although some speakers have dispersion that's so narrow that the room really isn't much of a factor unless the SPL exceeds a high enough point. However, even narrow dispersion speakers won't work when hard transients are in the music or soundtrack. At that point, it's like hitting a cue ball really hard- it keeps bouncing until it loses enough energy to slow down and stop. By that time, it's all over. Best to play it safe and make the room more absorptive, especially WRT the first reflections.