Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 10-28-2008, 07:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 X15
Winterizing 06 X2 ballast tanks

Does someone have instructions on how to winterize the ballast tanks on an 06 X2? Thanks!
Old 10-30-2008, 11:04 AM
TT Regular

Boat: X2 '06 MCX
I have the same question. MC shop here in Oregon says to just run them dry with boat on an incline, as we don't get really cold winters. On my '06, there is a hose-bib t-ed off what appears to be one of the 2 discharge lines from the the manifold. Not sure how to put that to use (to poosibly run RV coolant through the system). Does anyone have a link to a '06 X2 ballast system block diagram?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: between boats
Drain as much water as possible then pour RV in through the vent line while running the pump on empty. We run them till pink RV comes out the bottom.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:44 PM
TT Regular

Boat: X2 '06 MCX
Thanks corey. By vent line, I assume you mean the 2 side exit points near rub rail (1 each side) where water exits on draining the ballast (or on overflow when the tanks are full). Which direction do you run the pumps?

I know there are many threads on ballast winterization. It seems like the '06 X2 is special with the side discharge and timer-less controls. Can I assume the '06 X2 is the same as a '06 X1 or '05 X2?

This one seems like a good generic one (but I'd have to add a Tee near the intake):
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...hlight=ballast

and noticed this one specific for 07 and 08 X2 (which sounds similar to Corys suggestion):
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...hlight=ballast
Old 10-31-2008, 01:29 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 mastercraft x2
as long as you have the two way pumps on your boat (meaning that when you empty your ballast it doesn't empty out the side of the boat)... yes you'll just pour the RV in the overflow hole in the side of the boat and and flip the switch on empty... i'd let it spit the pink long enough to make you feel confident there's fluid on the pump (just a couple of second)

if you don't have the two way pumps there should be a "T" in the line between the raw water intake at your hull and the actual pump (if not you should be able to suck the fluid out of the jug by placing a fitting (best chance provided by your dealer but we rigged one using left over ballast line and a small rubber plunger like head) over the ballast intake and sucking the fluid out of the jug)... by this you'll want to fit a hose to the empty side of this "t" and draw about a gallon or two of fluid in and when finished then turn the pumps to empty until you (once again) see the pink... this will ensure that both pumps have the RV fluid in them and the water is out of dangerous areas

(please note that if anyone more knowledgeable come along and gives you better advice then you should probably take it as i've only helped on both of these scenarios and neither was my boat nor a MC... but pretty much all ballast systems are universal and all consist of a hole in the boat, a hose, a pump, more hose, a tank, (possibly insert another pump here), more hose, and another hole in the boat)

MY LED INSTALL... CHECK IT OUT

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

"Indecision may, or may not, be my problem"
-Jimmy Buffett

Last edited by wakeX2wake; 10-31-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Here is the MC Service Update on winterizing ballast.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Update winterization.pdf (684.1 KB, 284 views)
Old 10-31-2008, 01:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsCraft View Post
Here is the MC Service Update on winterizing ballast.
i believe that is for 07-08 models. the 06 empties out the side and not like the bottom like the newer ones do.

ps, the chart shows the starboard kgb ballast overflow as being the 2nd one back. however on my 07 it's the first one under the 200 series.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X2 MCX White/Blue
Why does this even need to be done? To keep impellar from seezing up? (sp)
Old 10-31-2008, 04:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Here's what I did on my 2006 Maristar 200 (basically an X2). I emptied the tanks of water using the ballast pumps. I hooked up the fake a lake to the ballast intake on the bottom of the boat. I sucked 1 gallon of RV antifreeze into each of the 3 tanks. I then ran the pumps on empty until antifreeze spit out the side empty ports. This is how we have been winterizing my cousins 2005 X2 and I was assuming that it would be the same for my 2006.

Last edited by rgardjr1; 10-31-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 X15
I think the T-fitting on the intake or rgardjr1's technique will work. I will let you know what I come up with tomorrow.