Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 06-30-2014, 04:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 X-Star
Tower Anchor Light Issue

I realize I probably need to just get off my butt, with circuit tester in hand, and figure this one out on my own, but why reinvent the wheel if not needed. So, last year I pulled my factory cans off my '04 (two of which had docking lights). Pulled big nasty speaker wire and installed a more adequate tower speaker system with no tower docking lights (docking light wire ends covered and stowed in tower for future use). Had to drop the tower for the upgrade. Once all back together, my anchor light no workie. No wires were pinched by the tower and connections for the anchor light look okay. However, no juice at the light itself. Wasn't an issue as we don't anchor at night. However, this year, with the 4th on the horizon, there is a very good chance we'll be watching the festivities from the comfort of the helm. Thus, a working anchor light is mandatory. Before I go and do something crazy like pull new wire for the anchor light, does anyone know if there's a mystery in-line fuse hidden somewhere, or if the anchor light shares a ground with the docking lights and when the docking lights are not hooked up, the circuit isn't closed and thereby causing the anchor light failure (this seems absurd, but so is having all the tower speakers sharing a ground...ah hem, so maybe), or? My thought is the anchor wire was spliced, that splice is inside the tower and pulling the big speaker wire through the tower caused the slice to fail. But, perhaps it's really something simple (not the bulb as that was my first go-to fix). So if anyone can.....(wait for it)...shed some LIGHT on the subject, please do. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 X-Star
Well, contact me for all your electrical needs. Sure enough, ground wire had a butt splice and despite that, they didn't leave enough slack for folding over the tower. When I installed new speaks, that was the first time I folded the tower down (thus pulling one wire out of the splice/butt connector). Whoever wired my boat at the factory needs to go to the gym. I've discovered many a butt splice on my boat were not crimped well (wires easily pull loose). Done and done and done correctly.

Last edited by deminimis; 07-11-2014 at 03:20 PM.