Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 10-12-2013, 09:40 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft Marsitar 230 VRS
Newbie Maristar 230 VRS owner

Hello Team Talk,
After 30 plus years of daydreaming, I'm excited to announce that our family has our first Mastercraft. We bought a 2007 Maristar 230 VRS three days ago. Only 198 hours, great shape. Skied Saturday, family ride to the campus docks Sunday, really appreciative to have this as our family boat. I do have some questions though, actually a bunch.
1. There are two or three gallons of water in the boat/bilge when we take it out of the water. You can hear the bilge kick in intermittently. Both drain plugs secure. Coming from??????
2. It pulls pretty hard to the left. Not sure if this is a Maristar characteristic, or if something is bent up.
3. The speedometer won't read above 5-10 mph. the little paddle wheel spins freely, just won't read correctly.
I'll save my docking stories for another post (25 years of driving I/O's), but it was a blast Thanks in advance for any experienced assistance!
Attached Images

Last edited by cobalt650; 10-12-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Congrats on the new purchase. That is a great boat which you and your family will really enjoy. The water could possibly be coming from the shaft packing. It may just need to be tightened up a little bit to slow the flow. A couple gallons is a little more than you would prefer but not terrible, but you really don't want enough to keep the bilge coming on and off. As far as pulling to the left, there should be an adjustment on your rudder to help with this. Play with the adjustment until you get it right. The speedo is a little trickier, although the fact that it is even reading at all is a little unusual. Can't help you there, unless you can get another speedo to try to see if it does the same thing. I guess there could be a loose wire, but I would think that it would either read or not read.

With the parking, practice and don't come in too fast. I always come in on the starboard side at an angle to the dock bc of the left rotation of my prop. When I reverse, the stern swings in towards the dock and I always have my bumpers in place just in case. The more you practice, the easier it gets. Just remember there is no steering in reverse. When I park my neighbors Nautique, I come in a little straighter to the dock, bc his prop is RH rotation and the stern does not swing in like mine. Oh and post pics of the new ride. Everyone here likes pictures, no matter the subject matter.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X1
Like mentioned by CC2MC check the shaft packing and also make sure the rudder is greased. If there isn't enough grease in the rudder box it may be leaking there and causing it to steer hard also. Speedo's are cheap. Just get a new one.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Congrats on the new boat. It's a beauty! Like yourself, I spent 22 years on an I/O before I was finally able to get into my dream MC. Maneuvering it was definitely a learning experience, but you'll get used to it. As mentioned above, check the shaft packing for leakage. I'd also check all the water hose connections on the engine. My bilge pump has never switched on because of shaft packing, so there is definitely something amiss.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:08 PM
TT Regular

Speedo fixed:)

Thanks for the tips gang, 1 item fixed. The speedo just needed to be toggled up a few clicks. Set it to a GPS app on a smart phone (that idea courtesy of Team Talk), reset the speed with the rocker switch, it now works great.
On the same lake run to play with the speedometer, I noticed that water was puddling around the shaft for the rudder. Wondering if some fresh grease in the zerks would stop that? It may also be coming in through the shaft packing, because there seems to be a lot of water in the forward center ski locker. Is that a do-it-yourself project? Thanks again
Old 10-15-2013, 10:10 PM
TT Regular

CC2MC-Starboard approach to the dock worked great, appreciate the guidance.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Any water that collects in the bilge is going to collect more towards the center of the boat as compared to an I/O which collects at the stern, which is why the drain plug and bilge pump are in the middle of the boat. Now I never have personally adjusted the packing, but from what I've read on other threads, all you should need is the correct size wrenches to tighten the shaft log a bit. I'm sure someone else can chime in on that. I know several people here have done it themselves.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 07' Mastercraft X30 LY6
Thumbs up Beautiful Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt650 View Post
Hello Team Talk,
After 30 plus years of daydreaming, I'm excited to announce that our family has our first Mastercraft. We bought a 2007 Maristar 230 VRS three days ago. Only 198 hours, great shape. Skied Saturday, family ride to the campus docks Sunday, really appreciative to have this as our family boat. I do have some questions though, actually a bunch.
1. There are two or three gallons of water in the boat/bilge when we take it out of the water. You can hear the bilge kick in intermittently. Both drain plugs secure. Coming from??????
2. It pulls pretty hard to the left. Not sure if this is a Maristar characteristic, or if something is bent up.
3. The speedometer won't read above 5-10 mph. the little paddle wheel spins freely, just won't read correctly.
I'll save my docking stories for another post (25 years of driving I/O's), but it was a blast Thanks in advance for any experienced assistance!
Wow, that is a pretty boat! Love the colors. I have the same hull/year.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:11 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
beautiful boat and congrats on the purchase.

in re: to the hull leak a 07 has a dripless shaft seal. i would first grease the rudder a lot and see if that helps.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:33 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 1998 LT1
Newbie Maristar 230 VRS owner

Congrats on the new boat. I have a 225VRS and had the exact same problem you are having. I paid the dealer to look at it and had it repacked and the shaft aligned but to no avail. Digging into it myself while on the lake, I found three areas i was taking on water. The first and biggest area was a warm water shower the previous owner installed. Each time the boat was above 2000 rpm's, it would trickle out of the connection located behind the rear deck, by the air vents. The second area was when we would let off of the throttle, we were allowing the water to pour up over the rear deck and flood onto the vents for the motor. The third area which is not as bad but does leak is the boat rub around he boat.
Another place I would check is your water pump and cooling lines.