Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-27-2013, 02:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1986 ProStar/Skier19
FireArm Question...

Greetings,

Wondering if any of you have any knowledge of current new and used prices and availability for the following rimfires:

Marlin 39A
Browning BL 22
Winchester 9422 (can you even find these used anymore?)

I'm looking for a good quality lever rimfire to use with my son. There aren't many to choose from on the shelves in the Great White North and the price seems steep. I'm wondering if I should head across the border to import a rimfire.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:46 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineLakeRumble View Post
I'm looking for a good quality lever rimfire to use with my son
I have to ask why the level action...? Are you trying to train mini chuck connors?

I love all three brands listed above... But personally, I'd have him step into the modern world and seriously consider a Marlin Model 60 .22 LR semi auto (about $160 at the local walmart)... You can have Academy install a cheap tasco 4x scope on it for under $30.

MC

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 12-27-2013, 03:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1986 ProStar/Skier19
Something fun about the lever action. I also like a little thought and patience between each shot. My son's accuracy is way better with a bolt action. When we use the semi it always feels like a race to empty the magazine. This is just for plinking and targets at the cottage.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:28 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Something fun about the lever action. I also like a little thought and patience between each shot. My son's accuracy is way better with a bolt action. When we use the semi it always feels like a race to empty the magazine. This is just for plinking and targets at the cottage.

When I take kyle on hunts, he fills his gun all the way up (4+1) in his bolt action. That's fine... But then he has the stock mounted bullet holder... Overkill... I take 3-4 bullets total to the lease... All in how you teach the boy. don't give him too many rounds... Then again, kyle wont walk in the dark... LOL

Lets say I had a coon or squirrel under my feeder, and I felt inclined to eliminate it... my semi auto Marlin M60 I could pump 2-3 shots into it in no time.

Like I said though, all three brands you list are awesome.

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...

Last edited by TxsRiverRat; 12-27-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft Skier
These are kind of fun. I don't know if they make a .22 but they are a blast to shoot

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-list.cfm?category=17
Old 12-27-2013, 03:55 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
In the lever action category, consider a Henry rifle. I have one in .22LR and in .17 HMR. The .17 is a great varmint rifle, and I think the Golden Boy versions are really pretty guns in addition to being great shooters. In an effort to emulate Chuck Connor as well as facilitiate shooting with gloves, I put a large lever loop on mine.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:16 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
How much for a phase plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.. - oh sorry wrong thread...
Old 12-27-2013, 04:25 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
How much for a phase plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.. - oh sorry wrong thread...
Move that to the "duck dynasty" thread

Old 12-27-2013, 05:08 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
I have to ask why the level action...? Are you trying to train mini chuck connors?

I love all three brands listed above... But personally, I'd have him step into the modern world and seriously consider a Marlin Model 60 .22 LR semi auto (about $160 at the local walmart)... You can have Academy install a cheap tasco 4x scope on it for under $30.

MC
For a .22 scope, don't bother with a darn Tasco piece of crap. Get a Simmons 3-9 22 Mag.

http://www.simmonsoptics.com/riflescopes/22_mag.cfm

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 12-27-2013, 07:20 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
I really hate .22's with scopes. I just don't get the need unless you build yourself a benchrest rimfire rig.

Levers work GREAT with receiver sights, I use a Williams on my 39, and don't bother with the aperture ring whatsoever, it will easily hit the bottom of cans at 30 yards offhand.

The real answer though is that depending on the size of your son, and if you want to use it - The CZ rifles are great, the scout is a good option for kids, or opt for a full size if he's bigger.