Old 05-03-2012, 02:27 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Iphone questions

Has anyone jail broke the iPhone 4

What does it do?

Has anyone unlocked iPhone 4

What does that do?

I want to block someone from contacting me. Smart limits has a monthly fee and you can not tell if they tried to call or text. The iblacklist App will hide the call or text and block it but archives it. I want to have satisfaction knowing that they got blocked instead of never knowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 05-03-2012, 04:10 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Damn brother, you don't have to block me... I'll stop calling. But I thought the bromance was going good!!! lol

I wish I could help but I don't have an iPhone. I'm so close to going away from a smart phone at this point.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:08 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
There is tons of information about jail-breaking and unlocking iPhones on the net. For greater detail, google the terms.

Jail-breaking and unlocking iPhones allows the user to use the device with a different cellular telephone carrier. Jail-breaking the phone requires the user to tether the phone to a computer every time the phone is cycled on an off. Unlocking on the other hand, does not require tethering. Apple produces iPhones that come factory unlocked. I have a 3GS iPhone that is unlocked and I use it while overseas to eliminate roaming charges. Suffice to say, if you had bought an iPhone at an AT&T store and unlocked it, you could use a SIM card from a different carrier to provide your service. Also, there are other non-iTunes store apps available via Cydia.

As I said upfront, there is tons of data available on unlocking iPhones. Just google the terms.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X-15
I believe that you can contact AT&T and they will block the number.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:31 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 w/Tower
Yes, I have both jailbroken and unlocked iphones (3, 3G and 4). Jailbreaking simply allows you to install non-Apple approved S/W. iPhones will only download software from itunes generally. And Apple must approve all apps that go into iTunes. By jailbreaking, you install an app called Cydia which allows you to install software from other than the iTunes store. Some of that software is free, some costs money and some is pirated.

Unlocking allows you to use an iPhone on a non supported carrier. When iPhone first came out, it was only available on the AT&T network. The iPhone was "locked" to AT&T and if you put in say a T-Mobile SIM card, it would not work on T-Mobile. By unlocking, you could use a non AT&T SIM card and the phone will work on that carrier's network.

Unlocking requires the phone to be jailbroken first. Although, there are SIM card unlock devices that do not require the phone to be jailbroken.

Unlocking is less common because it requires a certain version of firmware, whereas jailbreaking only requires a certain version of the iPhone operating systems (IOS).

I have not looked in to s/w for blocking callers or texters so I am not sure if there are free versions of such software that you could get by jailbreaking the phone.

Also note that updating your IOS version will cause the jailbreak to be undone and will require you to jailbreak again. So if you jailbreak, you have to be sure not to update to the latest IOS version until you are sure there is a jailbreak available for that new IOS version.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:07 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 PS205, x-14 someday
Haven't done it to mine, but a friend has Jailbroken his and has not had any problems. He loves it. I would be worried about corruption and the system crashing all the time.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
AT&T will now unlock any iPhone that is out of contract (http://osxdaily.com/2012/04/09/unlock-iphone-att/). Also they do not block numbers like other carriers do -- they want you to buy locks and limits.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:54 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
had my 4S jailbroken for Software version 5.0.1, but accidentally took the V.5.1 Software update

anxiously awaiting the jailbreak for 5.1
I wouldn't have an iPhone that isn't jailbroken

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 06-25-2012, 04:09 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
update......

another reason I wanted my iPhone jailbroken

3G download speed is faster than my home based broadband
still have AT&T's UNLIMITED DATA PLAN
Attached Images

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 12-23-2012, 09:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 tristar 190
I have my 4 jailbroken And love it untethered jailbreak.

1988 mastercraft tristar (open bow).