Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-16-2013, 08:18 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 1997
Hull full of water

A mechanic took the battery out of our boat last week. After a few days of torrential rain, the hull was full of water and the tranny + the starter were completely underwater (+ maybe the back of the alternator)

I have now emptied/dried it but what should I do next ? Put a new battery and start it ? Let it dry for a few more hours/days ?

Thanks for your help !!!
Old 10-16-2013, 09:18 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I would flush tranny - 3-4 times and remove starter and take to a automotive electrical shop to test - or bench test starter.

Also, tell mechanic he owes you $$$
Old 10-16-2013, 10:08 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Fair to assume you didn't remove the plug from the boat?

Agree flush the tranny and remove the starter. Look closely at the alternator. You should be able to see a water-line on it if it was partially submerged. If the starter is dried out right away you should be OK. The alternator usually doesn't survive being submerged.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 10-16-2013, 10:45 AM
TT Newbie

Well the boat is still on the water, so you are right, I did not remove the plug

I will remove and check the starter tomorrow. But I cant really see a waterline, think the flood did not last long enough (hopefully )
Old 10-17-2013, 04:08 PM
TT Newbie

Checked the starter and changed engine oil + transmission fluid, it runs without any problem

A last one though: do you think this may have impacted the starter life expectancy ?

Thanks again for your help
Old 10-17-2013, 04:11 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Most likely submersion and electronics not a good combo. Galvanic corrosion and all. I would change fluids again... But that's me
Old 10-17-2013, 05:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Engine oil is not likely a problem.

Run it for 30 min and see how the trans fluid looks. You cant fully change the trans fluid without doing a flush hooked up to a machine since over half the total volume is held within the trans body. If it is still clean, clear red with no milky tint after 30 and 90 min run time, trans is likely fine.
I have taken to sucking mine dry and replacing as part of normal winterization. It is only a Qt or so.

Just looking at your starter will not tell the damage story. If it got wet internal it should have been opened up soon after and sprayed with a water displacing lube.
Honestly, life has been compromised but no way of knowing how much. If you cant open it up and spray yourself, it will likely cost an hour shop rate $50-70 to have them open, inspect and spray with no extended life guarantee.
At least DD is super easy to access.

I would just take it on a good run to get the engine as hot as possible, driving off as much water as possible. Know sometime next year you will probably be in for a rebuild which will run $80-100. (this is why I would not take it in now as you will pay almost as much with no guarantee and more time wasted) Take the alt to an automotive electric shop, not the dealer or parts store.
It will start sticking, you can bang it with a wrench for another month but that will be your sign to rebuild before it will not crank with banging.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:00 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.H. View Post
A mechanic took the battery out of our boat last week. After a few days of torrential rain, the hull was full of water and the tranny + the starter were completely underwater (+ maybe the back of the alternator)

I have now emptied/dried it but what should I do next ? Put a new battery and start it ? Let it dry for a few more hours/days ?

Thanks for your help !!!
The mechanic is on the hook for the damage, IMO. If the boat was in his care, he's responsible for anything that happens to it. Your starter and alternator will need to be replaced/re-manufactured- drying them won't work because the water has already gotten to places that should absolutely remain dry.

Call the guy and tell him that you want him to pay for the repairs. There's NEVER a good reason to pull a battery without either replacing it when the weather report shows rain or pulling the hull plug(s). If it's in the water, it could have been swamped if the rain was bad enough.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
I agree with JimN. What I can't figure out (for the life of me) is why anybody would remove the battery from a boat that is still on the water. That is pure negligence.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:29 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.H. View Post
Well the boat is still on the water, so you are right, I did not remove the plug

I will remove and check the starter tomorrow. But I cant really see a waterline, think the flood did not last long enough (hopefully )
Yikes! That mechanic should be strung up from the highest yard arm.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com