Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-19-2013, 12:37 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstricker View Post
Whats ECM?

I just upgraded my prop to a 3 blade 11.5 pitch 13'' and noticed a big difference in the boats performance.

Chris
Stop right there and be happy..

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 10-19-2013, 01:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
I'm pretty sure you are correct. My question is what is the water hose over the gunnel? Maybe a water cooled intercooler or something. At least it is taped on nicely.

Could be - I would wonder if they just hadn't gotten around to plumbing in the thru hull.

On points about wrong crowd - I am aware.

I have a pretty good love affair with DD inboards - and I can see arguments for better holding (although the power slot or gear reductions with a good prop solve most of the speed holding)

And for show ski or barefoot - outboards will always be king all around better matched to either having more power (triple dynes) or higher speed - barefoot boats.

But sometimes when folks have an obsession about one thing you get lost in the details, 10 grand for a built DD inboard vs. swapping to an outboard if you just really want top end. That sort of game.

I'm in the fuel consumption crowd - would rather have lower specific consumption.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:03 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
Could be - I would wonder if they just hadn't gotten around to plumbing in the thru hull.

On points about wrong crowd - I am aware.

I have a pretty good love affair with DD inboards - and I can see arguments for better holding (although the power slot or gear reductions with a good prop solve most of the speed holding)

And for show ski or barefoot - outboards will always be king all around better matched to either having more power (triple dynes) or higher speed - barefoot boats.

But sometimes when folks have an obsession about one thing you get lost in the details, 10 grand for a built DD inboard vs. swapping to an outboard if you just really want top end. That sort of game.

I'm in the fuel consumption crowd - would rather have lower specific consumption.
When I did my engine mods I now not only enjoy better performance, ie stronger hole shot with faster top speed, the old '89 also got lower fuel consumption, a win, win. Some where in the $3k range to get to 5000 rpm's @ 48.5 mph and an average of 1-2 gph less depending on what were doing. But it's a big difference in modifying a carburetor engine vs. a fuel injected engine.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE

Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 10-22-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:49 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, sportstar 190, 1999, 5.7lt vortec max
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
Only if you change out engine components such as cylinders heads, rocker arms, intake manifolds, throttle bodies, camshafts etc.

I ask again, what are your performance goals? What is your current top end mph speed and at what engine rpm?
4400rpm 43 mile per hour.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:54 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Twins and triples are king in show skiing not because they "have more power" but because they can better put that power to the water by having additional props.

As far as being better barefoot boats, I disagree. Take a look at what is pulling barefoot tournaments these days- its all back to inboards. While stock vs. stock, the outboards are faster when unloaded, I have read there were legitimate concerns about outboards being able to achieve the speeds necessary for tournament conditions. Big footer, with the motor trimmed down per the rules, boat full of judges, etc. Inboards have much better speed holding abilities.

You can modify an inboard to be faster than a stock outboard barefoot boat if you know what youre doing.

Quote:
Have you priced out what it costs to replace an engine if you frag one? Check out the repower costs inboard vs. outboard and get back to us. Thats just a minor "detail" that is worth "getting lost in" when considering boat ownership costs.

Nevermind the inherent benefits of inboard boats- especially when it comes to overall watersports performance. Fuel economy, ease of maintenance, tracking, yadda yadda yadda.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:18 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
I say rip all of the ECM crap out of the boat. Build a real nice 5.7 and throw on a carb.

It will be cheaper and you can get pretty extreme and go as far as you want. I would be willing to bet that 5k in parts alone and you can have a 50+ mph boat.

Keep in mind you need a lot of HP to go faster and you will need a good torque curve to get what you want. The transmission doesn't switch gears so it's a combination of new built up engine (higher compression, with all new internals, heads, cam, intake, carb), transmission, and correct prop.

I've built several BBC engines for fountains and a baja. 540ci engines that were carb engines without superchargers or turbos. I pull out the 496 engines or the 502 mags and just build a strong carbed engine. If you know what you're doing then a carbed boat has more possibilities for a lot less money. For someone to come sit in the boat and fool with air fuel mixture throughout idle to WOT will be very costly. You have to be very mindful of not leaning out too much and your timing. All of this can be adjusted with a tuner but you will be running all day and probably shelling out $100/hour for their time. Slapping on a carb and watching total timing and fuel pressure you can tweak it yourself and get pretty far for less money. Is a carbed engine more efficient? In some cases but look at most guys building fast go fast boats. Most of them are carbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

Last edited by Kyle; 10-21-2013 at 07:09 PM.