Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2013, 02:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Insurance Coverage Over 100 Miles From Home

Many of you may know this, but I did not. I have boat insurance through Ski Safe. I normally keep my boat in my home garage, but this winter I have to keep it at my in-laws lake house, under a carport - located about 150 miles away. I called Ski Safe just to make them aware of the boat's location, and good thing that I did. Since the boat was being stored over 100 miles from it's 'home port' (aka my house) - it would NOT be covered in the event of a wind storm or hurricane. Good to know as inland NC has seen it's share of both recently. I was able to change the home port to that address, it's now covered from wind/hurricane damage and thought I'd pass along what I learned, as we are nearing 'lay-up' season for some.
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 10-16-2013, 05:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Wouldn't have thought of it but as those are location related issues and may affect the premium, I guess it makes sense.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
as a former insurance adjuster I find that hard to believe. It must be written into their policy language . Put into automotive terms that's like saying if I have a Wisconsin policy and get into a car accident in new York its not covered . I would ask for and read thru the entire policy to see what else they have hidden in there
Old 10-16-2013, 09:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
I would consider it more like taking out a policy in Madison, WI and then keeping the car in Flint, MI all the time. (Nothing against Flint, I have family there.) The incident of claims are going to be much higher in an inner city with a poor economy. Likewise, if I take out a policy on my boat in Madison, WI and then haul it to be stored on an empty lot in a hurricane prone portion of the country, it would stand a higher likelihood of suffering substantial damage due to a hurricane. There are areas in the country much more prone to certain types of weather related claims. That is reflected in your premiums, just as areas of high theft or vandalism are also reflected in what you pay.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1986 skier / prostar , Prostar190 , 1994 sold
I could be mistaken but I believe they up the deductible from $500 to $1500 for any "named " storm and there was something about a fire that did not set well with me either but it has been a while since I read about their coverage but they may do a custom coverage to meet your needs .
Old 10-16-2013, 11:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
I am assuming it had to do with the fact it will be laid up for a period of time. This is the case with my boat as well as my motorcycles. I store my boat and bikes during the winter months in a nice heated garage. Only thing is garage is about 180 miles away from the place they are registered. Because of that length of time over the winter I have to swap addresses for the storage. I found this out the hard way a long time ago when I stored at a buddies who's area was vandalized. Pretty much had to eat the damage.

Now during the useable time the radius doesn't matter. I could be anywhere and I am covered. I use Allstate for everything.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:13 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
Ski-safe's language (I'm getting a quote):

WINDSTORM Exceptions: We do not provide any coverage for a loss due to a tropical depression, tropical storm or hurricane if it occurs:
a. within the first 7 days after the policy starts and was within 1,500 miles of the US during the 7 days before the policy was issued, or
b. at any time if your craft is more than 100 miles from where you told us it is kept.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a Mastercraft
I've heard of the 100 mile rule regarding spouses, but never for insurance.

Kidding. Does make sense if it's in off season storage like mentioned above due to regional differences in crime, weather, etc.