Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 06-23-2014, 03:55 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205
Towing

Just bought my '97 205 last year but haven't towed the kids on the tube yet. Just wondering. The tow hook on the transom looks like its for towing but is it strong enough or should I use the pylon. Also, it looks like the rope would just slip off the tow hook when there is slack.
Any recommendations?
Old 06-23-2014, 03:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Maristar 240 SC
Towing

Tow hook is the correct placement. Feed the tube rope loop through the tow eye, tuck it behind and down, then pull it back up and around the barb. A picture is worth 1000 words about now.

Edit:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2014, 04:01 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 Master Craft Pro Star 205
I prefer to tow off of the pylon, especially tubes. That being said, I have towed off of the back hook. Hopefully someone with more experience than me will say something. I've kind of wondered myself how much weight that would tow.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:01 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
If and when I tow a tube it was from the ski pylon.

Sent from my New iPad Mini using Tapatalk

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-23-2014, 04:19 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205
Tow hook

I don't have a tow hook like yours F925, mine is more laid back and is just the barb. There is nothing to go through and over some other types of boats. Sounds like the pylon is the consensus though.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205 1998 5.7 Vortec
Tubes put a lot of strain on the pylon. I believe it is recommended that you pull Tubes from the tow hook on the back. At least that is what I do with my 98' 205
Old 06-23-2014, 05:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
I tow from the rear hook and yes, they do fall off if you get too much slack. Seems like some one would have invented a better replacement tow hook by now.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Falcon
I have towed a tube off the pylon the back and the tower. All locations have the strength to tow a tube. A tube puts a lot of force but not more than a slalom skier or even a good wake boarder I would guess. If your boat can't hold up to a tube on the pylon or back your boat is built poorly and I know that it is not. Now you have more control over the tub off the pylon so that is where I prefer to pull a tube from.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:02 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIBUMM View Post
I have towed a tube off the pylon the back and the tower. All locations have the strength to tow a tube. A tube puts a lot of force but not more than a slalom skier or even a good wake boarder I would guess. If your boat can't hold up to a tube on the pylon or back your boat is built poorly and I know that it is not. Now you have more control over the tub off the pylon so that is where I prefer to pull a tube from.
Tubes don't put much stress on the boat as long as the tube is upright in the water. It's when a tube flips over and gets sucked into the water essentially creating a suction anchor... that adds a bunch of stress.

If you like stress cracks, pull from a tower. If not, pull from your pylon or tow hook. Best practice is to get one of those accessories that attach to your lift rings. Those aren't going anywhere. Just ask MikeG the best way to tube. I hear he's a pro.

http://www.proboardshop.com/aahvyd12...FQmraQodl1oAmA
Old 06-23-2014, 10:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
The tow hook on my X15 and my old I/O are just bolted on through the fiberglass with some fender washers. My previous I/O boat didn't have a ski pylon so I had to use the tow hook and it caused some small stress cracks. I don't want to take that chance on my X15, so I pull from the ski pylon. The ski pylon on the X15 is rock solid.

On my I/O, I bought one of those Airhead ropes that connect to the transom lifting hooks. If your kids really like to be slung across the wake, I wouldn't recommend it. I could only sling them about half as well. Plus, you only have tension in one leg of the rope unless the tube is dead center behind the boat.

Click on the link above for Jabsco repair parts, including bearings, o-rings, lip seals and many other ballast pump parts.