Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 06-30-2014, 01:54 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
Fuel Sender Leaking

Hello all. So, bought my '02 Xstar back in Oct as many of you know. This Spring/Summer I have only taken it out twice, before today. It needd fuel. This morning, I went to a local gas station to fill it up. I topped it off, plum full till it runnith over. Took the boat back home to load the gear and family. While I was in the boat loading coolers etc, I noticed a very strong odor of gas. I lifted the rear seat, took out the ice tray box, and noticed gasoline seeping out of the fuel sender. It was clearly on top of the tank, and burbling out. Coincidentally, when I purchased the boat, I had to wait an extra day for pickup because they were installing the sender. I tried to tighten the screws a little more, but when completely full, it still leaked. So, my question is, bad gasket? Improper install? Wrong part? Anybody had this experience or have thoughts on this?

Yes, I went boating anyway, had a great day....vented, vented, vented, ran blower very often, and before first start, rinse carefully with water on top of the tank, and wiped clean with a wet towel. Yes, I knew the concerns, but felt I took proper precautions, initially started boat empty, etc
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2014, 03:50 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, x-star, 2002
Yikes!! I'd be on the phone with the Mechanic/dealer whomever ASAP - Watch a few videos even search the forums - TT member had a very similar situation only it caught fire.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:07 AM
MC Fanatic

I read that thread about a year ago....it was like an X2 or something that caught fire. Believe me, it will definitely be addressed. Just wondering if the gasket or O-ring didn't seat properly?
Old 06-30-2014, 07:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, x-star, 2002
no clue - I think gas tanks are scary. That said my brother trusted my other brother, an A&P, to replace the fuel bladder in his Baron-58. He always had bigger huevos than me....
Old 06-30-2014, 08:15 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Is the gasket there?
Old 06-30-2014, 09:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Yeah, a nice new thick black gasket is there. After a closer look, it appears that the leak was coming from one of the screws in top. I tightened the 2 bow side screws yesterday with no luck. It is a new part with a new gasket. My conclusion:

The screws are oriented around the top of the sender like the lugs on a car wheel. Maybe when someone installed it, they just went around in a circle screwing them in. I backed all the screws out, and retightened in a cross-pattern likes lugs on a wheel, then went around again and tightened some more. I hope this was the situation. When I looked at it today, of course after a day of boating, it was dry, fuel level down. I will refill the tank to test, but will prob wait until after the 4th of July holiday weekend, and just keep the fuel about 2 inches from the top....
Always happens or breaks near a holiday huh