Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-13-2013, 09:15 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 07 Maristar 215vrs
Need some advice for vibration

2007 Maristar
OK so I hit a log back in August and it bent my drive shat strut. This pushed the drive shaft over to one side. I replace the strut and drive shaft seemed fine and didn't notice anything out of line. I took it for a test drive today and I still have a vibration though it is not as bad. I do not notice any damage to prop but read on here that it could still be bent. I will look closer tomorrow. Couple of questions:

Turning the whole thing by hand has never been very easy, even before bending strut. Should it be easy to turn drive shaft?
How can I tell if it's bent? I really dont want to replace it ($800 + labor) if I dont have to.
Thanks for the help.

Nick
Old 10-13-2013, 09:21 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
get a dial indicator.

http://www.harborfreight.com/clampin...tor-93051.html tolerance is .003.

A nick to the leading edge of prop will cause vibration as well.

Not sure how easy prop should turn on v-drive - on on my direct drive I can turn with one finger..
Old 10-13-2013, 09:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
remove prop, connect the fake wake, start engine, put in drive and look at the end of drive shaft to visually check for slight wobble in shaft or remove the shaft and roll on glass table top and look for any defects in the shafts end but if you bent the strut and you didn't have the prop shop true your prop its most likely the prop so if the props off the boat nows a good time to send the prop for a true-up, call Eric at OJ $125
Old 10-13-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snork View Post
remove prop, connect the fake wake, start engine, put in drive and look at the end of drive shaft to visually check for slight wobble in shaft or remove the shaft and roll on glass table top and look for any defects in the shafts end but if you bent the strut and you didn't have the prop shop true your prop its most likely the prop so if the props off the boat nows a good time to send the prop for a true-up, call Eric at OJ $125
what is a "fake wake" that snork? sorry couldn't resist...

Old 10-13-2013, 09:39 PM
TT Newbie

I have a dial indicator...just need to figure out how to rig it I guess. Any experience doing this, let me know.
As far as removing the shaft, do I do that from underneath the boat? Any tricks or tips would be helpful.
Thanks for your posts!

Nick
Old 10-13-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmlaz View Post
I have a dial indicator...just need to figure out how to rig it I guess. Any experience doing this, let me know.
As far as removing the shaft, do I do that from underneath the boat? Any tricks or tips would be helpful.
Thanks for your posts!

Nick
inside and outside - detach from vdrive - pull out.. of course some more steps... put dial indicator against shaft... turn shaft....
Old 10-13-2013, 09:47 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
If you put the boat in gear while running in the driveway, you are going to hear some terrible noises coming from the new bearing in your new strut. If you have a hose spraying on this it might help....maybe.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 10-13-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you put the boat in gear while running in the driveway, you are going to hear some terrible noises coming from the new bearing in your new strut. If you have a hose spraying on this it might help....maybe.
like... ^^^^
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2013, 10:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Don't put the transmission in gear while the boat is out of the water. I did that once, and I thought the dead had risen and were coming for me screeching at the top of their lungs. I figure a situation that can make a sound like that can't be good for the hardware.

Find a way to attach the dial indicator to the bottom of the boat, or (if you have a magnetic base) to the trailer. Pull the prop and measure runout on the shaft about where the prop attaches, and between the strut and the shaft log. The specs are pretty tight - 0.001" as I remember. Examine the prop closely - it's possible to bend a blade along the hub (rather than forward or backwards) and it's not very visible. Make sure the spacing between blades is consistent when viewed face-on, and all the blades are in a line when viewed from the side.

Consider a full propshaft alignment as outlined in the attached document.
Attached Files
File Type: doc PROPSHAFT_ALIGNMENT-15676.doc (31.0 KB, 49 views)
Old 10-14-2013, 11:49 PM
TT Newbie

Looks like drive shaft may be bent

Dial indicator I got to move with my goofy setup .012...which according to you guys is out of whack.
So...now what?
Here is my drive shaft flange.... http://i39.tinypic.com/2q2n2us.jpg

Do I just remove the large nut or do I split the flange too? Also, I read somewhere I need a puller...what do I need?

Thanks!
Attached Images