Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2013, 01:33 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Tigé, 2150, 1997, Merc EFI
I'm glad you are doing something about rope safety. I started a group buy on the Comptech device a few months ago. It has been a great addition to our boat. A dealer I was working with wants to do another one, so make use of the savings when a deal like that comes along again to reduce the cost. A quality product will service all of the riders, on and in your boat, in addition to your daughter.

Another tip I learned was to make sure your handle floats or you could loose the rope and handle to the bottom of the lake. You can add a float to the end of the rope if needed.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAllen View Post
Another tip I learned was to make sure your handle floats or you could loose the rope and handle to the bottom of the lake. You can add a float to the end of the rope if needed.
Aren't they designed to sink to avoid running over the rope/handle?

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 10-14-2013, 02:16 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
thanks for the info! Mine's new, but there's no question it's a requirement now... i pulled Kyle the other day and he attached the rope to the pylon and i was like um no... we'll string it thru the tube... he said "i wont pop the handle..."

the shock tube did its job quite well when he launched the handle at us @ 32 off.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:53 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 X2
Thanks everyone for all your thoughts and opinions. I have spent some time thinking about this issue and here are some of my conclusions.

We are using a wakeboard rope with zero stretch so recoil into the boat is not an issue. I have never had a recoil issue with the rope in my 16 years of wakeboarding.

If you look at the amount of fatalities in the U.S. every year that can be traced back to human error, I am not that comfortable with the use of a device that requires the complete attention and instant action of another person. We also do not usually have someone on board that I would trust with such responsibility. These things happen in a split second and with my girl riding 10 to 15 minutes at a time, that is a long time not to break focus for a second. The manual release devices will probably work great if there are a bunch of seasoned skiers in the boat and your doing short slalom runs, but that is not what we are doing.

I bought a few different grades of Velcro and was experimenting with that as a release before I discovered zip-ties. It was very hard to get them to release consistently. Sometimes you would use too much and sometimes too little. Also how hard you press the Velcro together makes a difference and Velcro also losses it's strength with repeated use.

I am fortunate enough to be in a position in which I can buy a Comptech safety release and was headed in that direction just before I thought of zip-ties. The only problem with this device is the release starts at 100lbs, which is a bit more than my 55lb daughter needs. As she advances and gets bigger, we will purchase a Comptech release.

The reason I find the zip-ties an appealing choice is that they undergo a very uniform manufacturing process using a very uniform material. This enables them to break very consistently. I have purchased many bags and broken many zip-ties while experimenting and was impressed at how uniformly they will fail under consistent loads. They are also very cheap and have a wide range of tensile strengths. We are currently using the 50lb tie.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts about this topic. I felt like I needed to explain myself a little because maybe some people out there thought I might be taking unnecessary risks with my daughter just to try to save a dollar. I have given much thought to this problem and done plenty of experimentation to draw these conclusions because I know that my daughter is at the end of that rope and she is priceless.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:23 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Maybe a trick release and a zip tie would be best for you. I would think a 50 pound tug on a little thumb or arm might be too much. Having the trick release would give the observer a chance to let it go before any pull and the zip tie would provide a backup.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:40 PM
TT Regular

Sounds good and you've got it all worked out.
Do you only tow your daughter? No other riders?
Old 10-15-2013, 09:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X-Star 2003 X2 (SOLD)
I thought it was a rather ingenious idea.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:23 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 X2
My wife wakesurfs so there is no rope issue. I have about three guys plus myself that routinely wakeboard behind my boat but we are old enough to assess the risk for ourselves and also are not very likely at this point to get tangled up in the rope during deep water starts. Like I said the Comptech system will be a future purchase but until my daughter started riding it never even occurred to me or fellow wakeboarders I've spoken with that this is much of an issue at all. When I fall at 23mph the rope leaves me very quickly but at 13.5mph it looks like my daughter could fall into the handle before it is pulled out of range. It seems to me that this is much more of a sking risk or a wakeboarding risk where lots of rotation or inverts are going on. I do not fall into either of those categories. It just doesn't seem like these devices are on the wakeboard community's radar at all. Is that because falls into the rope never happen? I can't imagine they don't.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X-Star 2003 X2 (SOLD)
I have never seen one on any of the wakeboard boats around here. I would think they would be great for a tube. I am always scared someone is going to get slack in the rope and fall off in front of the tube.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:13 PM
TT Regular

Just to be clear. I think it is good that you are concerned with rope safety on your boat and are doing something about it. Thanks for sharing such a simple and inexpensive way.

I don't care if you use zip ties, sheer pins, velcro straps a manual or automatic trick release. I believe the rope is the most overlooked, dangerous item on the boat and am glad when another boat owner does something about it to avoid stories like these. I personally chose the Comptech. It has two drawbacks that I'm aware of. It's cost and not as transportable as other products. Other than that it the best, rope tension release, product on the market for rope safety IMO. You could use the zip ties in addition to the Comptech (or other) device for all around safety.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/...WS01/508150320
http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?11982
http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/sh...e-Saved-my-Arm
http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...-2?hl=comptech