Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 10-11-2013, 01:55 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
Wetsounds XS-808

So, I periodically check the WS website, and saw the WS-808s. Yes it is an 8" midbase speaker, would it work for inboats, or was it designed more for tower application? Anyone have experience with this speaker (David, Earmark....?). Or should I just stick with purchasing the XS-650's for the inboats? I have Rev 8s on the tower powered with a syn4
Old 10-11-2013, 10:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
The XS-808 IS an 8" in-boat speaker. The Icon-8 is the 8" pod mounted tower version. The XS-808 is a convertible component style speaker where the tweeter can be mounted remotely like a traditional component setup, or it can be grill mounted like a traditional coaxial.

The mid-bass and overall output from the 808 is awesome. If you have the depth and circumference, then yes, I would recommend a pair or two. We ran them along with a set of 650's, all getting the same power, and the 808 consumed the 650.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristarboarder View Post
So, I periodically check the WS website, and saw the WS-808s. Yes it is an 8" midbase speaker, would it work for inboats, or was it designed more for tower application? Anyone have experience with this speaker (David, Earmark....?). Or should I just stick with purchasing the XS-650's for the inboats? I have Rev 8s on the tower powered with a syn4
An 8" has about double the midbass surface area as a 6.5". So like Mike (MLA) indicated, an 8" will put a serious whippin' on the 6.5". So it's definitely a worthwhile upgrade only if the execution is right....meaning the 8" looks good and is airtight in the way it's mounted in the coaming.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
Thanks fellas, ver helpful. Now, what would you use to power either the 650's or the 808's to achieve maximum potential? Say, 4 of either one or the other (inboat)?
Old 10-11-2013, 07:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Per the Wetsounds specs thermal RMS ratings are:
XS-650....100 watts.
XS-808....125 watts.
Those are good guidelines since Wetsounds knows their product.
In being conservative, I'd stick with anywhere from 75 % of those numbers up to the full rating. You can bet that many have run 25 % more power with no problems. It depends on how the amplifier is rated (12.6V or 14.4V), how you execute the installation, set-up and tune the system, and your understanding of audio related to how you either use or abuse your system.
Personally I like to exceed the rated power. I can never have enough dynamic headroom for the type of music I play. And I would never have a failure because I have zero tolerance for distortion and know how to set things up.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
I think if you were running 4 of them and wanted to stick with a Wetsounds amp, the SD4 for the XS808's and the Syn4 for the XS650's are really good matches. If you wanted to go a different route with the amp a JL HD600/4 would pair well with the XS808's or the the XD400/4 or Slash series 300/4 would pair well with the XS650's.

I personally tend to prefer the JL Slash or HD series amps because of the constant load, same power at all voltage levels, which in a boat when (atleast for me) most of your listening is with the motor off, having the same power available is just a nice bonus for about the same money as the Wetsounds amps.