Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2013, 04:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-30
I just picked up a 2003 x-30 w/ 225hrs and a very clean interior for 22k. Bottom paint is not a great selling point b/c it generally means it sat in the water, that combined with the MD sticker says it might have sat in brackish water. Compression tests look good.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: changes every month
any pics of yours ? were there any proabs with yours or was it in pretty mint condition and did it come with trailer
Old 10-11-2013, 05:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
20k is too much.

Agree bottom paint is a large negative. Sitting in water, possibly brackish is not good on hull, electronics and likely engine. Examine how much pitting is on bronze running gear to get some idea.
Regardless, going back to gel is not likely cost effective or going to yield a good result as the new gel is just a thick paint layer not like the original gel. Bottom paint that does not stay wet will not have as long a life and will require a hard paint if trailered regularly which is more expensive. Budget an extra 800-1200 every 3 years max for bottom paint.
Exhaust manifolds and risers would be a concern with corrosion. That will be another $900ish plus labor.
IF he is the first owner and does not know hour meter, another red flag.

Assume no trailer?

Agree a full inspection is definitely in order. More so this time than an average purchase.
NADA has a low of 23k and average of 26k so I would feel better at 16-17k knowing I am in for a full interior and its prior history if the inspection goes well.
Down even more if new interior means ALL vinyl and not just seat skins.
It did buff out nice but I would consider this more a "project" boat so be prepared.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:33 PM
MC Devotee

It was the dealer that didnt know but after inspection they know more about it .. on previous page see pics BSLOOP.. let me know also it DOES come with a dual axle trailer
Old 10-11-2013, 06:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-30
Mine did not have a trailer ... hope to get some pics on Tuesday when I'm back at the house. No problems with it except one of the pumps not working. Whenever I see someone asking for a value on here, it always low. Depends greatly on the market you live in and the boat condition.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:32 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
If you're trying to flip this one.. run away
Old 10-11-2013, 08:38 PM
MC Devotee

any particular reason why ?
Old 10-11-2013, 08:42 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
As a current perspective buyer, the market for some one who would want a potential salt boat with bottom pait is extremely small.. if there wasnt bottom paint, it wouldnt be to bad of a deal. But the bottom paint would instantly make me walk away. Just throwing my buyers perspective into play.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:37 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrjtt View Post
It was the dealer that didnt know but after inspection they know more about it .. on previous page see pics BSLOOP.. let me know also it DOES come with a dual axle trailer

Aric and 03x30 should be good indicators.
03 was in at 22k with trailer and no vinyl indicated at 22k, assuming no salt......
Aric is still looking and would pass.......

I am not a dealer nor directly looking but am a fb site admin and recreational parts dealer. Ask A LOT of questions and look HARD.
This is still NOT a sellers market and this is NOT a prime boat.

Don't let emotions take over and make a bad purchase.
Personally, when I was looking for a VERY specific boat, 90-92 240sc; (only 550 total produced and I don't even know if that number includes the 240wc) I looked at 15+ with one that I think to this day would have been better.
The unit I got has been decent ((even with brackish water)) but I paid less than basic nada even though there was tower and equipment and have replaced exhaust+ and now facing full electrical rewire due to partial salt exposure.
I purchased my boat 3 owner in 2004 out of NY. It was sold to NY. btw, LOVE my galv trailer and would not trade it for the most pimped painted/wheeled trailer out there.....
DONT TAKE ANY SALT/BRACKISH EXPOSURE LIGHTLY!
Old 10-12-2013, 11:33 AM
MC Devotee

Ok thanks everyone for their opinions still going to make an offer and see what sticks