Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-09-2014, 02:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Doing a boarding trip in CO....solo....thoughts?

So.....

Ill be in CO until February 6th for a week. I can extend my flight to Monday at no cost, giving me Friday sat and sunday to ride.
No one I work with is really into the white stuff. I am. I love it.

I've never done a trip solo though, and Im cheap.

I'm a intermediate border. Ride through the trees just fine, love powder, love to go fast. Id say I'm an intermediate rider. Not afraid of much, but I'm not sending it it off cliffs. Small drops (10ft?) Im cool with.

Any thoughts or things to think of? Figure ill rent a U-Haul van as a cheap rental car since its just me and my board. Then.....just kinda wing it? Hopefully meet up with some locals and ride with them? Maybe throw up a craigslist ad? lol

Does this sound really stupid?

Ill be back in CO with some friends in march, but I want to carpe-deum the free flight there.

Thoughts?
Old 12-09-2014, 03:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: None right now. :(
I would totally do this. Or at least would have when I didn't have a wife and 3 kids running around.

There has got to be some TTers that could help you out. It's been years since I've had a chance to get out west. so I can't help with the details.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:24 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
I've skid solo many a time. We have a place out in Steamboat, and everyone doesn't always want to wake up for first tracks like I do, so I go off on my own. Keep a charged up cell phone in case of emergency, most big resort mountains get cell service everywhere nowadays.

I love going solo... I can go wherever I want, go as fast as I want, run whatever line I want, and never have to worry about finding someone later. I just throw some good jams on my phone, and that pipes in through my helmet. Losing yourself in some tunes through a back country line is about the best thing on the planet. For some deals, check out Liftopia.com.

What resort are you going to?
Old 12-09-2014, 04:46 PM
TT Regular

Boat: X-Star, 2008
I was just out in Breck for a few days, Thur/Fri/Sat as a loner, same situation, work event no one wanted to go. It was still pretty early, runs were opening daily then. Had great power one day. I didn't run into to many boarders, there were still a fair number, but lots of singles around going up the lifts and everyone was super friendly and had some great chats with people.

So, I would highly reco Breckenridge, great ski town - there isn't any in Arapahoe as a comparison, you can get cheap accomodations, try Airbnb if the urge strikes, great mountain, great powder and everyone is super friendly!
Old 12-09-2014, 04:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
I actually want to head to steamboat. I heard that is a great place for the tree runs, with nice fluffy snow. I too have the same problem with convincing people to get the first runs, but I'm more diehard then the crew I ride with when it comes to powder.

I don't have any plans as of yet though. I just decided when I posted this that I was going to do it alone.

I would couch-surf if I could, or maybe a hostel? Most likely Hostel lol. No plans yet.

In my mind im thinking
A) Throw some Ads up on craigslist, see what happens...or look through some ads.
B) Go wherever I pickup cheap tickets too. I'm just not going to keystone since I've been there already and am going there again. Everywhere else is open aslong as its good.
C) Sleep wherever its cheap?

crap....didn't even think of renting a car yet. New boss probably wont let me sling a company car for the weekend. Uhaul van?? haha
Old 12-09-2014, 04:51 PM
MC Maniac

Breck is a great ski town, lots a local places to hang out after you get done for the day, and super friendly people. I recommend the Gold Pan Saloon

Copper Mountain always has deals, but not quite the same "feel" as a solo rider. I'd say your best bet would be Keystone, Breck, A-basin, or if you want to drive a little further, Aspen/Snowmass. Winter Park is a good spot as well.

Edit - Didnt see your post.

Steamboat is by far my favorite. You wont wait more than a few minutes in a lift line, if at all, and you'll find some great tracks in the trees. If the snow is good, there's lots of fun terrain to play in, and it's not all stupid difficult either, so you can relax while still getting good quality snow. I don't know much about couch surfing, but there's a website for that, so you might find something available. CL might have some stuff, but there's some weirdos out there, so that wouldn't be my first choice. There's lots of low cost hotels/motels off the main area that you can stay in. if you're off peak dates, then the rates wont be jacked up. For lift tickets, good luck finding discounted ones at steamboat, they're few and far between. Might get on their mailing list because they shoot out specials every once in a while to email subscribers.

The boat is a bit of a drive though, expect another hour and a half past Dillon north on 9 Hwy, then 45hwy. If it's snowy, you'll be on a 2 lane road the whole way and going over Rabbit Ears Pass, so make sure whatever you rent is capable if you hit nasty weather. Rabbit Ears isn't super steep or extra high in elevation, but it can get nasty up there, and it has. Usually going over that pass will give you an indication of how the snow will be in Steamboat. If the path of the road has been carved out by the giant snow blower/plow truck, then you're going to be in for some good riding.

Have fun out there.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:01 PM
MC Maniac

Welcome to Steamboat.... ala Christmas day a couple years ago.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
For best deals on hitting the slopes, might look into getting a season pass depending on where you're going later. Might save because anymore than a week of riding out there and a pass usually pays for itself. If you go to Breck, check out Mi Casa for happy hour after hitting slopes. Ask any local and they can point you there.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x-45 8.1L
I take many trips to Colorado solo to go snowboarding. I know this might not suit you but you should try back country riding. There are several areas that are great for first time backcountry riders with very minimal avalanche risk. There are parking spots on the roads and you hitch hike up the pass and get let out at the top. The way the areas I usually go make you funnel back to your car. You can get almost unlimited powder runs and there are usually jumps and rails set up in some areas made by other back country riders. Loveland pass and berthoud pass are 2 great areas. It's free other then the gas to get there. That's the only way we ride when we go to colorado any more. Resort prices have gotten ridiculous. If you have any interest feel free to message me and I can give you more details. There is usually a few people there you meet and chill with. People of all ages and background. Met a group of lawyers from Iowa last year. All in their late 40s.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
For the best riding without driving to Steamboat though you might want to check out Vail since you will be solo! You can get mad lost there. The public buses are pretty good once you get to Summit County by the way too, if you caught a ride or shuttle. Those shuttles are pretty pricey any more though