Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 09-30-2013, 11:52 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 X30 GEN2
JL Audio or Wet sounds Rev 8?

I am ordering a boat and not getting mastercraft cans, instead I am contemplating the JL audio cans with the same 7.7 speakers that come with any tower speaker from MC or perhaps Wetsounds. I primarily surf and huge volume is not a necessity. Any advice is appreciated
Old 09-30-2013, 11:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
You are going to get a lot of Wetsounds love from this site.

However, JL is more expensive. I went with all JL and am more than pleased.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X30, 2015, 6.2 (On Order)
I'm getting a new boat as well. I'm going with Exile speakers and amp. Check out there Surf Packages. I just really like their quick detach system... very cool. Plus every review I've read says the sound quality is on par WetSounds. Talk with Brian... he will answer any question and tell you what setup would best suit your needs.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Besides the JL Audio 7.7" tower speaker offering, by Spring you can expect a new JL Audio 8.8" tower speaker and pod.
The JL Audio 8.8" will be a conventional direct-radiating coaxial just like the JL Audio 7.7" or the Wetsounds Icon8. So it will not be an HLCD. The JL Audio 8.8" will have an over-sized 1.25" soft dome tweeter with a very low resonance and the ability to reach farther into the mid/treble region, which is a plus for a speaker as large as an 8-inch that is expected to play hard in open air against some noise competition. This ensures more of a seamless and gapless transition between the larger midbass driver and tweeter.
There is a big difference between a JL Audio 7.7" M and Mx series coaxial. For a tower, you definitely want the 'M' series in the 'T' tower version.
Btw, the JL Audio 8.8" and Wetsounds Icon8 will both have a similar surface area. I would call them both an 8" speaker. The 7.7" is much larger than a 6.5" but just shy of an 8".
If surfing is priority then the Wetsounds Icon8 would be the natural choice in the Wetsounds line-up. However, the more powerful Rev8 HLCD is a very linear speaker as compared to the typical HLCD.
With any of these choices, you need an 'honest' 150 to 200 watts of real quality power per each speaker.
Both of the products you mentioned are the top choices in a surf speaker with build quality far above the rest. You can't go wrong either way. If it were strictly for wake range then I would have to give the Wetsounds HLCD the stronger recommendation.
Do the two sound the same? Nope. They're both excellent but do sound different. I can't give you an objective answer to such a subjective question. A lot depends on what sound is most familiar based on your past exposures and perhaps the type of music you listen to. One might have the edge at rest while the other holds the advantage when underway. I hope you have an opportunity to hear both in a fair setting.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallnut21 View Post
I'm getting a new boat as well. I'm going with Exile speakers and amp. Check out there Surf Packages. I just really like their quick detach system... very cool. Plus every review I've read says the sound quality is on par WetSounds. Talk with Brian... he will answer any question and tell you what setup would best suit your needs.
Btw, there is nothing exclusive about Exile's mount since Wetsounds also has a quick release/swivel collar that doesn't get near the credit it deserves. It's really a superior piece of engineering.
The Exile uses a 1/4" phone jack connector at the center. This has been around since 1880 when used for phone patch panels. It was also adopted as the primary plug for guitars because it swivels. However, you have a flat blade against one small surface of a round post as your only contact point, which connects very little surface area. This is why you never see the prosound industry use a phone jack in any high level or high powered speaker applications. Instead they use banana jacks, SpeakOn or Neutrik connectors. Why? Because they have far more surface contact. Lower resistance. More power transfer. Less potential for corrosion on that tiny contact point. No chance of becoming misaligned and intermittent due to a slightly out-of-round tower tube. The Wetsounds connection is snug on ALL sides of the male and female elements. The entire connector swivels rather than swiveling the contact point.
Also, the Wetsounds has a heavy stainless steel fork and nylon safety bushing to ensure the speaker never accidentally comes unthreaded and falls. Take a very close look at both operating systems.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:19 PM
MC Devotee

This video is likely all you need to make your decision. Unless budget is involved. Wetsounds will save you a few bucks and give you a quality product. But its not JL quality.

I plan to have my boat for ten years or more, so I opted for something guaranteed to sounds just as good ten years from now.

For your viewing pleasure: http://vimeo.com/64271296

As well, JL amps are the best in the biz. If you did go wetsounds, at least get some good power for them.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
^pretty cool video

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 09-30-2013, 02:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
How much do the Wetsounds QR clamps cost vs the Exile clamps? Is there anyone having issues with the Exile clamps not meeting their expectations?
Old 09-30-2013, 02:59 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76S&S View Post
^pretty cool video
Cool video indeed.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:31 PM
MC Devotee

You know, it all really comes down to the users taste. I know a guy, I won't name names, that wants sound. And by sound that could mean a $300 Pyle system. And there is nothing wrong with that.

With that said, for me: My boat stays outside 24/7 it is exposed to the sun only when the cover is off but the humidity under the cover can leave condensation, the tower speakers are exposed but I leave my Bimini open and that shields them very well from sun and rain but not completely. also I am worried about my friends drenching my speakers, so I wanted something strong and with the best quality. But it cost me. About $3k in all not including install. And there are better JL options than mine. I actually am thinking about tweaking mine. Upgrading an amp and adding another sub.

But it all boils down to how you use it. Like my friend. Who leaves his boat drier than my hot towels out of the dryer, and in the safety of his garage. He wants some music, but he doesn't need something killer and he can control the environment it stays in mostly. It all sounds good enough for him. It will likely last and serve his purpose for a few years. Cheaply.

Best advice is go with what makes you feel good.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2