Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 03-20-2014, 10:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X30
Question More bass in X30?

I wanted to get opinions on the best way to add some nice deep bass to a 2012 or 2013 X30?
Factory option is the 10" IB behind the seat. I have never been a fan of IB subs because they lack the deep bass but understand we are somewhat limited in these boats.

Any suggestions for subs/amps in this particular boat?
Had thought of having a friend fashion a fiberglass enclosure to fit behind the sub and possible adding a second but wanted to see if there were better options?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:57 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2014 MasterCraft X30
In my old X2 I took the stock sub and contacted JL to find what the airspace need for a ported box. I was lucky to find one that fit and then placed it in the compartment where the stock sub was. I put the stock grill cover over the hole where the sub was and the port fired out through that hole.

The only issue I see with doing this is you would need to relocate the cooler. I know this was probably no help now that I think about it.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:11 AM
MC Fanatic

Yeah thats not a bad idea. I guess I need to measure the space and see whats possible.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 MasterCraft X30
We are currently adding 2 subs to a customer's X30 in the shop right now. He has the stock 10" JL IB behind the driver's seat. We are adding another 10" JL IB in the walk-thru to the bow and placing a JL sealed sub under the observer seat.

http://www.jlaudio.com/fs110-w5-sg-t...-systems-91955
Old 03-21-2014, 10:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhart73 View Post
I wanted to get opinions on the best way to add some nice deep bass to a 2012 or 2013 X30?
Factory option is the 10" IB behind the seat. I have never been a fan of IB subs because they lack the deep bass but understand we are somewhat limited in these boats.

Any suggestions for subs/amps in this particular boat?
Had thought of having a friend fashion a fiberglass enclosure to fit behind the sub and possible adding a second but wanted to see if there were better options?
A good IB infinite baffle subwoofer can go just as deep as a good AS air suspension subwoofer in a small sealed enclosure. You may see that the IB woofer has a higher natural resonance on the spec sheet but that's not the entire story. Once placed in a small sealed box, the AS woofer will have just as high of an F3 (point of half power) and the final Qtc of a sealed system will be about the same or higher than the Qts of an IB woofer, which doesn't change when properly installed in the correct environment.
The real difference is that AS is a more linear form of suspension than IB and will allow the woofer longer excursions under control. Excursion translates to output. So the AS sub sounds better with more power when pushed harder. And it is true that lower bass does require an inordinate amount of excursion to reach the same output level.
Follow a few basic acoustic principles when planning your subwoofer.
One type of subwoofer only. Don't mix various methods of woofer loading in the same boat (infinite baffle, air suspension, bass-reflex, bandpass).
One location only for multiple subwoofers only, collected as tight as possible, and oriented the same. Avoid creating a scenario of phase soup.
Direct-radiating will perform better in a number of areas with less loss than a sub/enclosure concealed in a storage locker or console that has to move the bass radiation through a decoupled vent or grill. However, if you couple the woofer to the vent opening correctly and in an airtight manner then this still constitutes direct-radiation.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:37 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Standard upgrade -

Drivers kick panel, 12"
Sealed for tighter bass if rock preference, or ported for max booty shaken boom.
Kicker L7 or Comp VX
JL, RF or Arc Audio paired amp.
Additional battery and charger.

If that is too much money, scale back the components, knowing you will lose some volume and quality.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:48 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Problem with the drivers kick panel on these boats is that there isn't one. So it is a challenge!
Old 03-24-2014, 02:22 AM
MC Fanatic

I saw a few installs of dual 10" IB subs in the kick panel of the X30. The install said they had to relocate some electronics behind the wall. Any idea how difficult this would be or if it would be worth the trouble?

The boat I am looking into does not have a sub at all so I really have the ability to put one anywhere and a 12" would be great.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '99 205V
What bsloop said. Get a 12" sub in some type of enclosure in place of the kick panel (or where the kick panel would be if you don't have one). You might lose a little leg room but the sound will be worth it.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
Problem with the drivers kick panel on these boats is that there isn't one. So it is a challenge!
I forgot/didn't realize the x-15 has a slanted foot rest and fiberglass kick panel that is likely not tall enough to support a 12".
Might investigate if there is enough clearance to mount a box under the helm, facing the walkway but I doubt there is enough room.

Next choice would be the walkthrough on the port side.

Personally I think the cooler holder is a waste of space but the extra fiberglass makes fitting a box in that area more difficult so port side under the seating would be 3rd choice but I am pretty sure 12" would not fit under the seating.
A more invasive option but workable is a down firing sub enclosure under the seats with a slot port. I would definitely do my homework for a competent custom builder.