Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 10-07-2013, 11:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 xstar
Integrated Bow Sac Install 2002 xstar

A few weeks back I installed the MC piggyback bow ballast upgrade from WakeMakers. I have a 2002 xstar and before installing I was worried about how I would be able to get at the Starboard vent line hull penetration. I guess each boat is hand made and the location of various things, including the vent lines, vary from boat to boat. Mine looked very hard to reach. As it turned out, I was able to lay on my back with the starboard bow seat cushion removed, feet toward the bow and reach up through the under seat storage and work by feel. It was tight but definitely do-able, and I am a big guy with big mitts. I started by disconnecting the stock vent lines on both sides (the port one is easily reached from the battery compartment) at the hull. Both hull through connects were loose and needed tightening. I checked all the others too and all of them were loose. This will be a part of routine maintenance from now on. Then I attached the quick connects to the stock vent lines that came with the IBS kit. Next came the nipples on the bag (4 of them) and then connected the lower, rear nipples to the old vent lines on each side for the fill lines and finally hooked up the upper nipples on the bag to the through connection in the hull for the vents. The guys at wake makers told me it would be easy and it was. It ties in very nicely with the stock ballast, filling automatically when the ski locker bag is full and emptying automatically too. Simple and nicely integrated. The only downside is that I just can't see how it gets 650 pounds of water in there. The seat frame constricts the bag preventing it from filling completely. My guess would be that it adds about 350 pounds at most. To get the full benefit of the bag you would have to lay it on the bow seats losing all the convenience of it being hidden away. To help out I put two 150 pound fat sacs on the bow seats and fill with a Tsunami when we don't have extra bodies in the boat. All-in-all I am happy with the product and easy of install...that is until I can afford a boat that comes with a surf gate and requires no messing around with extra sacs, boat lean etc. etc.

Last edited by Zad; 10-07-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:59 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
I installed the IBS on my X2 this summer. I just left the starboard overflow hose attached to the thru-hull and cut it just above floor level and attached it to the sac. If I ever want to return it to stock I just need to insert a coupler at the cut point with two clamps and it's back to original. Took me all of 2 minutes.

And ya, you'll only get 300 lbs or so. The cup holders will pop up too -- that's how you know it's full!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:31 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
I always had to run extra sacs on the front seats with the integrated bow sac, so I just got rid of it and switched to the open bow triangle. Having that extra storage up front is nice as well.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:19 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
Did you find that that the open bow triangle gave you better wake performance....as in significantly over the IBS system then? Who makes the triangle? Can you sit on it when full/empty?
Old 10-08-2013, 11:25 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristarboarder View Post
Did you find that that the open bow triangle gave you better wake performance....as in significantly over the IBS system then? Who makes the triangle? Can you sit on it when full/empty?
With 750s in the back, the wake is much better with the open bow triangle. Without running a bunch of lead, there just isn't any other way to get enough weight up front to offset the 750s in the back. Fly high makes the triangle. It holds 1000-1200lbs. I think you could sit on it, but I don't think anyone would want to. When I empty it, I store it under one side of bow seats.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
I agree with JRW. However instead of running the triangle I run the IBS on the top of my bow seats. Ran the hoses through cutout in cup holder. I keep about 200 lbs in pop bags stuffed all the way to the nose.

Just FYI. You could've removed the kick panel under the drivers helm to access the vent lines much easier,get an easy eyeball, and not have to contort like crazy to get at things.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:20 PM
MC Devotee

Here's my daughter standing on the open bow triangle. It's about as high as the top edge of the boat, so I don't think anyone would want to sit on it.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:42 AM
MC Fanatic

When are you guys using either the IBS or the triangle? Are you filling it for just surfing, or for both surfing and wakeboarding? Also, what weights are you guys using for both the center locker and the rear? I am looking to get my wake dialed in with my new boat (in the Spring) and just curious what you have found makes both a nice wake and surf wake. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:03 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
Have not used the IBS when boarding -- just the KGB and about 350lbs in each rear locker. The 205v/X2/X1 hull throws a mean wake for boarding with the basic stock ballast.
For surfing I use IBS, KGB, and 750lbs on port side, plus a couple of people on port side.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Excellent, thanks.