Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 10-01-2013, 10:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
2006 X15 ballast plumbing

Hello All. Just recently purchased a 2006 X15. I have some questions on the plumbing of the ballast system.

1)I have 2 port side thru hull holes and 5 starboard thru hull holes. I know the boat empties the ballast via thru hull holes. I know 2 of them should be for the bilge pumps (front and rear). I would think that there should be an empty and overflow hole for each of the 3 ballast tanks. This adds up to 2 bilge + 6 ballast = 8 holes. But, my boat has only 7 thru hull holes. Is one of these holes shared? If yes, which ones.

2)Does anyone know the exact layout of which thru hole does what?

3)What is the location of the ballast pumps? I assume that I have 3.

4)Anyone have a rough schematic of how the whole system is plumbed? I know there is a distribution manifold in the very rear of the boat.

Just want to understand all this better, especially for winterization.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:18 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
this will change somewhat since yours empties over the side instead of 07 and newer which empty thru the hull.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ballast winterizing.pdf (684.1 KB, 85 views)
Old 10-01-2013, 11:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 XStar LY6, 2006 X-15 (gone)
Pumps in the rear are port and starboard behind a cover, two screws on top and one on the bottom, you should see those in the rear locker. Remove the panel, and there the two for the rear are.

The front you would see under the center rear seat, by the transmission.

I had a 06 15 so I know.

They come to a common distribution block to empty. You will note this if you try to just dump one or all, you wills see the increased pressure.

The others are for the overflow when the tank is full, I hope that makes sense.

Tom
Old 10-01-2013, 12:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
My 2003 has a similar setup. One of the port side thru hulls is the vent for the port side rear tank and the other is one of the common drains. On the starboard side in the rear, there is the vent for the starboard side rear tank, the common drain, and the rear bilge thru hull. On the starboard side further forward should be the vent for the kgb and the forward bilge thru hull.

The distribution manufold should have 5 lines going into it. The largest is from the water pickup on the bottom of the boat. The next 3 largest should run to each pump, and the other two are for the common drains. I think there is a check valve on the large pickup line that prevents the water from draining out the bottom when the pumps and in reverse and forces the water to the drains above the waterline in the back.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 XStar LY6, 2006 X-15 (gone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW160 View Post
My 2003 has a similar setup. One of the port side thru hulls is the vent for the port side rear tank and the other is one of the common drains. On the starboard side in the rear, there is the vent for the starboard side rear tank, the common drain, and the rear bilge thru hull. On the starboard side further forward should be the vent for the kgb and the forward bilge thru hull.

The distribution manufold should have 5 lines going into it. The largest is from the water pickup on the bottom of the boat. The next 3 largest should run to each pump, and the other two are for the common drains. I think there is a check valve on the large pickup line that prevents the water from draining out the bottom when the pumps and in reverse and forces the water to the drains above the waterline in the back.
That was better than my explanation....!! HA!
Old 10-01-2013, 01:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

JRW160 - Making sense now, see if this statement is correct: All 3 ballast tanks empty through two common drain holes at the rear (1 port, 1 starboard).

When you say vent, is that the same as overflow?
Old 10-01-2013, 01:37 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
JRW160 - Making sense now, see if this statement is correct: All 3 ballast tanks empty through two common drain holes at the rear (1 port, 1 starboard).

When you say vent, is that the same as overflow?
Yes and yes.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

OK, I traced out my ballast system this evening. I attached a hand sketch that I made. Let me know if you see anything that I missed.

As you can see from the pdf, my system has a tee plumbed in. The guy I bought the boat from said that he hooked this up to an antifreeze jug, turned the ballast pumps on to fill, and sucked antifreeze into each tank one at a time. This would work but I think that you would need to turn the pumps on to empty after that to be sure the check valves get flushed out.

The procedure ttu posted probably is a better way to do it. Since you fill the tanks first, turn the pumps to empty, then pull the antifreeze thru the pumps and out the drains. This would definitely flush out the check valves in one step.

One thing that seems like ttu's instructions is missing is closing the ball valve on the intake grille. It seems like you want it open at first until you see antifreeze come out of the intake grille. After that, it seems like you would want to close the ball valve in order to force the antifreeze out of the thru hull holes. Otherwise, I think the path of least resistance would be for the antifreeze to flow down and back out the intake grille and never go up and out the thru hull holes.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 06 X15 ballast.pdf (409.0 KB, 78 views)
Old 10-02-2013, 10:36 AM
MC Devotee

I think the manifold prevents water from flowing back out of the intake grill when draining or there is a check valve on the intake pickup line. I can't remember which way mine is setup.

That T should work fine for winterizing the ballast system. Just suck antifreeze in each tank, then drain them. I do pretty much the same thing, I just use a fake a lake instead of the T.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

Yea, there could be a flap inside the manifold or maybe there is check valve in the intake line. I didn't follow it all the way as it went under the engine, so I could have missed it.

By the way, anyone know the individual capacity of the 3 ballast tanks on the X-15?