Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-22-2012, 11:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
2012 Ilmor engine belt dust

Is anyone having issues with engine belt dust? I had my belt replaced in July because it was spraying black rubber "dust" everywhere. I winterized the boat yesterday, and the new belt is doing the same thing. My air filter is completely covered in it. I tried cleaning the air filter, but couldn't get it to come out at all. I didn't try compressed air for fear of tearing the element, but running water and using the K&N cleaner didn't do anything.

The dealer made it sound like they had a bad batch of belts, but my replacement is doing it also. I also don't think the dealer cleaned my air filter when they replaced the belt, which is disappointing. I'm calling them today, but wondering if anyone else is having this problem.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC
I'm not sure how bad yours is, but I've been working on a fewer new MB's and MC's with the same problem. It's not so bad that it throws dust onto the flame arrestor, but there is some black dust everywhere the belt goes...
Old 05-11-2013, 10:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
I still haven't been able to get my boat in to get looked at. I tried taking a look at it myself today. There is supposedly a service bulletin on belt alignment. It's hard to get a direct look at the belt directly from the side without taking the engine cover completely off, which I didn't want to do. I did notice the engine water pump pulley seemed to have a little uneven wear. The edge farther away from the engine (towards the rear of the boat) has a little bit of a lip, where the other edge does not. You can kind of see it in the picture. Looking at it, it kind of looked like the wear mark wasn't even on the pulley too, but I measured the distance on a couple of different points, and it was the same (as close as I could measure). Without removing the engine cover, I couldn't get a straight edge in to check alignment. I also tried to use a laser, but didn't have room for that either. Anyone have any experience with mis-alignment? How do you tell if a pulley is off axis or off plane? From my perception, it looks like the water pump pulley might be off axis.
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2013, 01:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X-46 6.0L BSO-II Gen2+
Do you eventually have a squieking belt/engine noise?

Be sure to check if the two screws fixing the raw water pump to the engine are fixed/tight!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 02:31 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 Maristar 200ss, Crusader 5.7
I have a 2006 Maristar 200ss (same as X2) with a Crusader engine at 1100+ hours. Black dust, in my situation, has been normal. I always-always-always carry a spare belt because they will deteriorate & break when you don't want them too. Boats don't go without a serpentine belt.

Also, the "belt track" on the water pump pulley has also been normal and needing replacement every blue moon. Why does this happen? It's a cheap part and painted. My problem is that I primarily run in Saltwater so rust gets on the pulley and helps kill the belt more rapidly. I finally got smart and started inspecting the belt on a regular basis for wear and tear. Noticeable engine performance with a new belt vs a belt that has decayed a bit.

The water pump pulley is only ~$40 and takes about 5 minutes to change out. Remove the water pump pulley assembly from the water pump. The pulley is on there snug, so I use a socket and gently tap the pump house to push it off the pulley. The new pulley may not seem to fit because of the paint thickness. I just start the bolt threads and replace the assembly back on the water pump and tighten it down, slowly and evenly.

Also, it sounds like your Dealer is just making conversation and has no clue. The dealer where I bought my boat was an idiot and it took me about three mechanics to find one that was honest enough to say, "I don't know, let's monitor it". Been going to that mechanic for about 800 hours. Good luck!!!
Old 10-09-2013, 03:40 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 MC Prostar 190, 310 Predator Powerslot
I've never done it but it seems to me you should be able to take a straight edge off the largest pulley and measure the distance with calipers to the quadrant of each pulley. Dimensions to each quadrant should all be the same if the pulley is aligned.