Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 06-24-2013, 12:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
Fuel fumes from fuel tank vent - Prostar

I have a '96 prostar 205. I am getting a lot of fuel fumes from the vent when underway. It is especially noticeable when the lake is rough or we are pulling anything other than a skier and turning a lot. I am certain that it is from the fuel sloshing around in the tank. It also pushes out a lot of fumes when we back it into the garage at night so it ends up stinking up the garage.

If someone is in the rear or especially the rear port side of the boat, you can end up with a headache from the fumes. I am wondering if there is any way to fix that. I am pretty certain that closing it off would not be a good idea even though some of the fuel systems seem to be closed these days. There is really no other place to vent the tank. Is there some kind of filter that would allow venting but reduce the fumes? Is there an aftermarket tank with baffles in it that would fit?

We usually run with a pretty full tank of fuel is that helps any.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
I would open up the rear and take a look at the breather tube and the top of the tank where the fuel goes through the tank at various locations to make sure there are no leaks. I smelled raw fuel yesterday, thought it was the overflow only to discover there is a leak where the pump assembly attaches to the top of the tank. I'll have to dig into that tonight.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:08 PM
MC Fanatic

There are no other leaks. I checked when I replaced the fuel filter last fall. There is just a straight tube to the vent. I am pretty sure it is coming from the vent. When I replaced the fuel filter last fall, it got me thinking. If only there was a filter for the fumes I could install on the vent line. Something that would allow the pressure to releast but keep the fumes in.

I am thinking some kind of carbon filter might work?

Last edited by jakethebt; 06-24-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:13 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1996 Mastercraft Prostar 205
I have the same boat and mine doesn't give off those fumes. In fact, mine hardly gives off any fumes at all tank levels. Sounds like you have some kind of issue. Is your gas cap sealing well enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethebt View Post
I have a '96 prostar 205. I am getting a lot of fuel fumes from the vent when underway. It is especially noticeable when the lake is rough or we are pulling anything other than a skier and turning a lot. I am certain that it is from the fuel sloshing around in the tank. It also pushes out a lot of fumes when we back it into the garage at night so it ends up stinking up the garage.

If someone is in the rear or especially the rear port side of the boat, you can end up with a headache from the fumes. I am wondering if there is any way to fix that. I am pretty certain that closing it off would not be a good idea even though some of the fuel systems seem to be closed these days. There is really no other place to vent the tank. Is there some kind of filter that would allow venting but reduce the fumes? Is there an aftermarket tank with baffles in it that would fit?

We usually run with a pretty full tank of fuel is that helps any.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tateau18 View Post
I have the same boat and mine doesn't give off those fumes. In fact, mine hardly gives off any fumes at all tank levels. Sounds like you have some kind of issue. Is your gas cap sealing well enough?
Same here. '96 205 and we don't smell gas. I did have problems with fuel sloshing out the vent when the tank was very full, but I fixed that with about 20' of vent hose and a check valve.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Raycor separator

If the smell is from fuel discharging from the vent maybe this will help:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2903547...Types&var=sbar
Old 06-25-2013, 08:05 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
Same here. '96 205 and we don't smell gas. I did have problems with fuel sloshing out the vent when the tank was very full, but I fixed that with about 20' of vent hose and a check valve.
Hmmmm... We mainly notice when the boat has been moving around a lot.

I have never had fuel come out of my vent, just fumes. The 20' of vent hose is interesting. What kind of check valve did you install? I thought the vent worked both ways, to let pressure out when the temps rise and to let air in to replace the fuel as it is burned. If you installed a check valve to keep the fuel in, does it still allow pressure out?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:09 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tateau18 View Post
Thanks for the help. I think my gas cap is sealing ok, I have never had fuel leaks. The vent is so simple; I don't see how it could be messed up. All mine has is a tube from the top of the tank to the vent at the rear of the boat and a couple of hose clamps. Maybe that is the problem? Perhaps there is supposed to be more to the vent? I will snap a few pictures and post up. Maybe something is missing?
Old 10-09-2013, 07:13 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1996 mastercraft prostar 205 , LT1
Hey I read your responding thread about gas coming out of your prostar 205 tank breather tube. Ive heard that you cant put a check valve on the breather tube because it needs to breath!?? I dont know what the answer is but im trying to find a way to keep the fuel from coming out of my 96 prostar205 fuel tank breather tube as well ! What kind of check valve did you buy and or where did you find it?
Old 10-10-2013, 11:49 AM
MC Fanatic

I dont think the check valve is the right way to go. To keep fuel from running out of the vent, as others have suggested, you could put 10' or 20' of fuel vent hose between the tank and vent. Just call skiDIM and get 20' and replace what you have in there. Attach both ends, coil the rest up and figure out a way to hang it as high as possible above your tank. This should not interfere with the ability to vent. If you need to expand due to heat, it will push any fuel in the line closer to the vent, but hopefully not out. If the tank needs to take in air, as the fuel burns, it should pull any fuel in the line back into the tank and then be free to pull in air.

This still does not solve my initial issue of fuel fumes. The fumes problem has not been as bad this season.