Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 03-23-2014, 01:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
Batteries cost about $125, they last 4-5 yrs on avg in a boat. That's nothing. I have a battery tender and it works great. A $40 investment on a $125 battery almost doesn''t make sense, but a $100 investment on a $125 definitely doesn't make sense.
Boat use and equipment runs the gamut from buoy enthusiasts to families to hard charging wakeboarders.
I try to tailor my advice to whom is asking using the info given or assumed.
The above quote is more relevant for a non-radio, buoy boat, in warmish climate with a single battery.

OP, with no additional info as to how he uses the boat but he has x-15 in a cold climate in his sig. I assume he has two batteries, at least one amp, general family use which includes a mix of use underway and floating.
Two batteries is more than a trickle charger should be expected to handle, especially if batteries are put away less than charged which is very likely since people often pull then sit. Motoring back to the dock on most WI lakes is likely not sufficient to recharge.
Assumed $250 minimum is more than enough to support a $100 investment to protect and extend life in a cold climate like WI.

$125 is also a low battery assumption. Optima is very popular with a 31 agm closer to $200 each.
On the other end of the spectrum, 5 Kinetik 2400's on my boat could set a person back $1500 with different charging requirements yet.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:43 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
Batteries cost about $125, they last 4-5 yrs on avg in a boat. That's nothing. I have a battery tender and it works great. A $40 investment on a $125 battery almost doesn''t make sense, but a $100 investment on a $125 definitely doesn't make sense.
I've had a Battery Tender on my 1993 CBR900RR since it was new. Now, almost 22 years later, I am still on the second battery ever for the bike. The first went 10 years, the second has been almost 12 so far. There is no reason a boat battery should last only 4-5 years with proper maintenance. I am currently running 5 Battery Tenders on various things.

2013 X-25
Old 04-10-2014, 01:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
Bought a Battery Tender Jr. for my battery that had been sitting most of the winter. Took a couple of days to charge it but it is now in maintenance mode. Should put it on the boat today and see how many volts it's pushing...
Old 04-10-2014, 07:02 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMLVMI View Post
Bought a Battery Tender Jr. for my battery that had been sitting most of the winter. Took a couple of days to charge it but it is now in maintenance mode. Should put it on the boat today and see how many volts it's pushing...
Take it to an auto parts store and see how many AMPS it can hold.