Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 10-05-2013, 04:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC View Post
+1 on the battery tender.

I have seven of the BTs in my garage. Over the years, one or another would go dead, typically from a surge when the power flicks off and back on. The first time, BT warranted their product. The last two times, they would not warranty saying that I had mine too long (I owned less than 10 years VS their 10 year warranty), so my song and dance to Battery Tender folks includes a middle hand digit aimed in that direction...

Don't use a trickle charger unless you plan on monitoring it daily. Trickle chargers don't ever turn off. Get a charger that goes into float mode (stops charging and monitors voltage).

I keep my batteries plugged in year-round. No need to take them anywhere other than their designated placement. The beauty of plug-and-play-and-forget.

Battery tender = connect it and forget it... until spring.
Done with Battery Tender due to their warranty service. After being a loyal customer for eight years, they won't honor my older warranties.. . Going to another brand...

+1 on a trickle charge. Ever leave a pan of boiling water on the stove forever? Same principle...

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 10-05-2013, 05:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209 - MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
I have seven of the BTs in my garage. Over the years, one or another would go dead, typically from a surge when the power flicks off and back on. The first time, BT warranted their product. The last two times, they would not warranty saying that I had mine too long (I owned less than 10 years VS their 10 year warranty), so my song and dance to Battery Tender folks includes a middle hand digit aimed in that direction...

I keep my batteries plugged in year-round. No need to take them anywhere other than their designated placement. The beauty of plug-and-play-and-forget.

Done with Battery Tender due to their warranty service. After being a loyal customer for eight years, they won't honor my older warranties.. . Going to another brand...

+1 on a trickle charge. Ever leave a pan of boiling water on the stove forever? Same principle...
Sorry to hear about your bad luck with Deltran.
I have 5 Battery Tenders. Two of them are the older original Battery Tenders and never had a problem with any of them. My most recent is a Jr. I bought last year.

Last edited by JDC; 10-05-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft,powerslot,1983,pleasurecraft 351
I use battery tenders on my boat and motorcycle, Plugged in all the time. no problems at all.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
The battery charger type and size should be determined by the specific application. One size definitely does not fit all.
Fisherman running a heavy trolling motor, fighting a wind, all day long, with a large capacity battery bank, have been dialed in on battery charger technology long before the advent of wakeboats. Just follow their lead if you have a large audio system, with a large house battery bank, and use the stereo for long durations at rest.
A minimum amperage smart trickle/tender/minder/maintenance charger is fine if you have a weekend car, tractor, motorcycle, ATV, UTV, etc, that is placed into storage with a fully charged cranking battery.
However, if you have a large capacity deep cycle battery(s) that is placed into storage with a deep discharge then you need a smart 3-stage charger with enough (but not too much) current capacity to excite the battery in order to counter the effect of sulfation. A charger using pulse technology may not need quite as much current capacity to do the job.
An ACR/VSR will have an impact on your dependency on a shore charger.
Having even an undersized charger is better than no charger at all. Batteries self-discharge several percent per month. Battery degradation is accelerated in a discharged state.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:56 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
The battery charger type and size should be determined by the specific application. One size definitely does not fit all.
Fisherman running a heavy trolling motor, fighting a wind, all day long, with a large capacity battery bank, have been dialed in on battery charger technology long before the advent of wakeboats. Just follow their lead if you have a large audio system, with a large house battery bank, and use the stereo for long durations at rest.
A minimum amperage smart trickle/tender/minder/maintenance charger is fine if you have a weekend car, tractor, motorcycle, ATV, UTV, etc, that is placed into storage with a fully charged cranking battery.
However, if you have a large capacity deep cycle battery(s) that is placed into storage with a deep discharge then you need a smart 3-stage charger with enough (but not too much) current capacity to excite the battery in order to counter the effect of sulfation. A charger using pulse technology may not need quite as much current capacity to do the job.
An ACR/VSR will have an impact on your dependency on a shore charger.
Having even an undersized charger is better than no charger at all. Batteries self-discharge several percent per month. Battery degradation is accelerated in a discharged state.
what you sayin' willis..
Old 10-05-2013, 09:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
My uncle had a battery tender on his new Porsche a few years ago and the battery exploded. He couldn't get the hood open with no power. Had to tow it 250 Miles and have the engine professionally cleaned $1,800 bill. No more tenders for him.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:03 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskifreak View Post
My uncle had a battery tender on his new Porsche a few years ago and the battery exploded. He couldn't get the hood open with no power. Had to tow it 250 Miles and have the engine professionally cleaned $1,800 bill. No more tenders for him.
eash... I am done with german engineered cars... struts on my ex-C320 $1000 each... struts for my Ford $189... domestic only for me now..

my local Ford dealer has battery tenders running all the time on their show room vehicles.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskifreak View Post
I think your uncle had a trickle charger and not a battery tender from Deltran or CTek. There is no way a battery tender caused a battery to explode. Also you can open the hood of a Porsche with a dead battery by going to the fuse box. The instructions are in the owners manual

Last edited by fskof; 10-05-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post

Sorry you had trouble with Deltran. I bought my first one in 2000 for my ducati and its still going strong!
Old 10-05-2013, 10:46 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskof View Post
Sorry you had trouble with Deltran. I bought my first one in 2000 for my ducati and its still going strong!
No big deal... Life rolls on. Thanks for the thought. Just sharing my experience with a supplier....

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767