Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 10-04-2013, 07:37 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 Maristar 210VRS
Steering/Rudder Question

Hi All,

After years of wanting a Mastercraft, I have finally bought one. I had to get one that is more family orientated but that doesn't lessen my enthusiasm for it It's a 2000 210 VRS Maristar and is in pretty decent condition. Anyway, steering in it sucked big time. So after reading through a ton of posts, I've changed the steering cable, dropped the rudder and cleaned/regreased it as well as the rudder box. Also cleaned/regreased the steering bracket tube. I haven't water tested it yet, but it feels 100% better just on the trailer. My big question, is the rudder suppose to turn more to the left than to the right? The rudder is almost perpendicular (90 degrees) to the prop when turned to the left but only at about 60-70 degrees to the prop when turned to the right. When the steering wheel is centered, it takes 2 full turns to hit the stop on the left, but only about 1 3/4 turns for it to hit the stop turning to the right. Is this suppose to be this way because of the offset rudder? Called the local Mastercraft dealer and they didn't even know.

The first 2 pictures show steering wheel full left, the second 2 are full right
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2013, 09:23 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
The cable is misadjusted, should be even both ways; at least it is on my boat...

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 10-04-2013, 09:34 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC
Might be offset due to prop rotation. My boat turns better to the right due to prop rotation..
Old 10-04-2013, 11:09 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand2snow22 View Post
Might be offset due to prop rotation. My boat turns better to the right due to prop rotation..
Mine also turns harder on rt turns, I think that is due to the rudder offset, propeller rotation, but the steering wheel/rudder itself turns same number of rotations from lock to lock.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE

Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 10-04-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
I agree with others here. Rudder angle should turn equal in both directions. The cable adjustment is off.
However, even with the rudder turning equal both directions out of water, keep in mind it will still turn differently in water (under power) because of engine rotation and offset. And it still won't back up and turn to the left when the steering wheel is turned.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:19 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 mcx
I know my steering wheel gets more turns in one direction then the other,but in the water boat turns fine.

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
---Animal house
Old 10-05-2013, 09:58 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Cable is not centered in the rack. Should physically turn the same in both directions.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:23 PM
TT Newbie

When I attached the cable, the steering wheel was centered and the rudder was straight. Do you adjust the amount of left to right rudder travel (and simultaneously the steering wheel travel) via the steering bracket tube? I haven't found any good previous posts on how to adjust this.

Gonna go give it a lake test today and see how it works.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:43 AM
TT Newbie

Got it out on the lake yesterday and it turns like a dream! I even got my kid skiing in October in MN. I will probably just leave it the way it is. Although I may just correct the steering wheel position so it coincides with the boat going straight and not the rudder being straight.