Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2013, 01:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
I wonder if it would be easier to register out of state and then transfer title when its already in your name?
Old 10-03-2013, 01:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Why not just keep the title in a different state? Would it matter if the title was in my name? I think there are rules about "longer than 90 days" has to be registered in the state the boat is most used. I get away with titling my sleds in WI because I ride mostly in WI. But i bet you are right. It might just be easier to title in another state. I mean who is going to know your not just a traveler?
Old 10-03-2013, 01:53 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
Why not just keep the title in a different state? Would it matter if the title was in my name? I think there are rules about "longer than 90 days" has to be registered in the state the boat is most used. I get away with titling my sleds in WI because I ride mostly in WI. But i bet you are right. It might just be easier to title in another state. I mean who is going to know your not just a traveler?
I have my boat and sled registered in WI as I exclusively ride the sled in WI (MN 55 mph speed limit) and do the majority of my boating in WI as well. I used to store both boat and sled there, but keep them both in MN now.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 10-03-2013, 01:56 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
Quote:
Thats exactly it. Since I bought it out of state, they seemed to need an exuberant amount of material to prove you actually have the vessel you sent a title in for.

Oh great....what all will I need to gather. I have sales contract, titles and registration all signed by the original owner.

Getting trailer plates was a breeze on the other hand.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
Oh great....what all will I need to gather. I have sales contract, titles and registration all signed by the original owner.

Nothing else, that should be it.

Yes, trailer plate, title document and plate sticker...went to DMV and was in and out in 10 minutes.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14
Quote:
Why not just keep the title in a different state?
Some people do that. My boat was owned and registered in KS but the title was from OK. The previous owner explained it to me and I half paid attention, but by that point I was checking out the boat to complete the sale and it was shiny. I am distracted by shiny.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post

I would recommend sending in snapshots of the engine serial number and a pencil rub of the HULL ID including the two letters just outside of the line. Maybe even send multiple pencil rubs and multiple photos and one photo of the vessel. I printed them on printer paper and sent it all in.

Just for good measure.

As for the trailer you can just take that into the DMV and you shouldn't have any issues getting tags and title.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
Nothing else, that should be it.

Yes, trailer plate, title document and plate sticker...went to DMV and was in and out in 10 minutes.
Lucky you. I bought my boat in MI and towed it back to VA. MI dealer told me they don't title the trailer seperately like we do in VA. It took me 3 trips to DMV just to get tags for the trailer. During the last trip the teller pulled out a dusty old book in order to find the MI title laws. I told her that she can go online like I did and get the info. You should have seen the look she gave me.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ORidr View Post
Some people do that. My boat was owned and registered in KS but the title was from OK. The previous owner explained it to me and I half paid attention, but by that point I was checking out the boat to complete the sale and it was shiny. I am distracted by shiny.
If you're distracted by shiney, what do the hips on the new boats do to you?
Old 10-03-2013, 09:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Reason #37263 that I left IL in '95 at first chance and haven't been back for more than a quick trip to visit!
Took my buddy in Fox Lake almost the whole season to get his registration too a cpl yrs ago. Apparently an out of state purchase is too much to comprehend!
I used to live in IL as well. Except Lake Michigan, and Chicago, there is nothing I miss about IL.