Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2013, 12:40 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Corey View Post
I don't get why boat manufacturers are so hush about their prices. If I get on a Ford or GM site to build a new truck I enter my area code so the pricing is right and know what I'm adding up to. They give me the base price and the price of all the options. When I'm done I know msrp and then can deal with my dealership on the final price.
Yes, though all but the smallest markets have multiple dealers to choose from, to cross-shop. The distribution model is much so much smaller for MCs. As such their dealers have flexibility to charge what the market will bear so that a dealer in SoCA might be able to price much higher than in NC or IL. The gaps are so large you could save a lot of money buying out of your dealer's territory. That's not in MC's best interest because some dealers would drop MC & total order volume would likely go down and consumers need to service these boats.

Some have tried doing manufacturer price points (Skier's Choice, Bu, MC with the 06 X1) and it gets complicated with bill-backs and other financials. It's hard to get a dealer to sell at a specific price that could otherwise hurt their margin potential. I could be wrong...
Old 10-03-2013, 12:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-14V
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Corey View Post
I don't get why boat manufacturers are so hush about their prices. If I get on a Ford or GM site to build a new truck I enter my area code so the pricing is right and know what I'm adding up to. They give me the base price and the price of all the options. When I'm done I know msrp and then can deal with my dealership on the final price.
I agree - I do find it odd/frustrating and it make its hard to decide what to pick. I guess just pick everything, and then start deleting once you get the MSRP price quote - but that won't help you pick between 3 mirrors, or 6 engines etc. And even the options are not that clear: I had to ask the dealer, and they had to ask their sales rep what the high power stereo actually included.

Last edited by rtw_travel; 10-03-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X1
Yeah, it always makes me wonder how much I'm at the mercy of my salesman. Is he telling me a start price 10k high so that he looks like a hero when he gives my 5k off? I would hope not, but it becomes a possibility when pricing is not public.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-14V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Yes, though all but the smallest markets have multiple dealers to choose from, to cross-shop. The distribution model is much so much smaller for MCs. As such their dealers have flexibility to charge what the market will bear...
I agree, but I understand the MSRP is FOB the plant in $US, so the MSRP should be the same regardless of which dealer you buy it from. My $1810 MSRP for the high power stereo on my next X14V in Canada is the same number that someone posted for their X30 in the US mid west the other day. Then you work with the dealer on an actual price to pay, which may or may not include manufacturing rebates or reflect their volume buying, financial position, and transportation & PDI costs.

I just would like to see the MSRP on the web site so that I can decide if I really want the CIPA 6x9 mirror or a VR100 before even going to the dealer. For example, in the boat I'm currently buying, I selected the 'ski/wakeboard' tower rack option... and the DAB MSRP sheet from the dealer a few days later showing that option at $900 more than the 'wakeboard only' tower rack. If I'd known it was $900, I would not have selected it in the first place. What a waste of time. Same with picking wheels for the trailer... it would save me time by telling me what the price difference is so that I can pick the wheels that I want at an MSRP difference that I'm prepared to pay. Then I can start horse trading with the dealer on the final price for the whole package.

It can't be difficult to do because every auto manufacturer already does it.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtw_travel View Post
I agree, but I understand the MSRP is FOB the plant in $US, so the MSRP should be the same regardless of which dealer you buy it from. My $1810 MSRP for the high power stereo on my next X14V in Canada is the same number that someone posted for their X30 in the US mid west the other day. Then you work with the dealer on an actual price to pay, which may or may not include manufacturing rebates or reflect their volume buying, financial position, and transportation & PDI costs.

I just would like to see the MSRP on the web site so that I can decide if I really want the CIPA 6x9 mirror or a VR100 before even going to the dealer. For example, in the boat I'm currently buying, I selected the 'ski/wakeboard' tower rack option... and the DAB MSRP sheet from the dealer a few days later showing that option at $900 more than the 'wakeboard only' tower rack. If I'd known it was $900, I would not have selected it in the first place. What a waste of time. Same with picking wheels for the trailer... it would save me time by telling me what the price difference is so that I can pick the wheels that I want at an MSRP difference that I'm prepared to pay. Then I can start horse trading with the dealer on the final price for the whole package.

It can't be difficult to do because every auto manufacturer already does it.

Exactly^
Old 10-05-2013, 05:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
All the non towboat manufacturers list MSRP's on their build a boat systems, not sure why the rowboats can't do the same.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:04 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X1
I'd sure appreciate seeing the pricing. Skier's choice allows you to build a boat and show all list procing for options. A Supra sure got to be more expensive than I previously expected.

Conversly, MC could benefit by showing the price. Simply because MC could be losing consumers who incorrectly disqualify themselves, determining they can't afford a MC even though the otd price can be pretty close to Tige or Bu. Go search the '14 Prostar threads, you'll see many people assume that boat would be $90-100k! Not even close to the real price.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Boat: X10
Price

Hey guys:

We are working on providing MSRP pricing throughout the design process. I cannot give you a timeline as that has not been established yet but as we continue to evolve the new site (as much of what you see is just placeholder content), this is one change we are making.

Jason
Old 10-07-2013, 03:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Great! Thanks MC.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x-star
Dont give the public too many choices. It will still say Mastercraft on the side.

Name:  ugly star.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  16.9 KB