Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2013, 11:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-14V
This is kind of like the first boat we ever bought. The 3.0 may be a little underpowered for skiing at most boat lengths - we ended up with the 4.3 and a stainless prop, both which made a world of difference.

Anyway, we bought our boat from a couple who had it for their kids for 5 years... kids gone and boat sat around for the better part of a year. We had a mechanic do a compression test and check things out - found a couple of faults that would cost some money to fix, so we talked down the price a bit more. Then we bought the boat, changed the oil and had fun. Actually - the carburetor was gummed up: some cleaner, a rebuild kit and a few beers for a mechanic friend and it was good to go.

That boat ran reliably for us for 16 years before we sold it - it was the best used piece of equipment we ever bought.

So first things first - is this the right boat for you? The 3.0 will be economical to run but may be underpowered if you intend on doing watersports or travelling with a boatload of people. You really do need a watertest to figure that out... or check forums for your specific boat of interest. Then if you're happy, have a full mechanical inspection, negotiate the price so you can fix everything and make your deal.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Our old 4cyl mercruiser used more gph than my v-8 MasterCraft. Generally it had to run wide open for nearly everything we did. With the right prop I (all 285 lbs of me) could slalom with 6 people in the boat, but top speed would be about 32, until I cut, then 28 or 29.
The deal for me is better performance and ease of maintenance. Much less to go wrong on the direct drive IMHO.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:33 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcityskier View Post
Irish, you need to take a ride in a competition tow boat, and compare the performance to what you're looking at. These boats aren't for everyone, but neither are Ferraris.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 10-02-2013, 01:58 PM
MC Devotee

Where are you at Irish? I'm in Madison, WI, which isn't nearly where it sounds like you might mean. If you're near however I'll gladly get you a ride and show you what I mean. Otherwise maybe someone near you will step up and offer?
Old 10-02-2013, 02:04 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcityskier View Post
Where are you at Irish? I'm in Madison, WI, which isn't nearly where it sounds like you might mean. If you're near however I'll gladly get you a ride and show you what I mean. Otherwise maybe someone near you will step up and offer?
Her profile says Clearwater Florida.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 10-02-2013, 03:03 PM
MC Devotee

Missed that. Anyone near?
Old 10-02-2013, 03:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 Stars & Stripes Prostar 190 351 285 hp
A lot of good advice. I am a former Sea Ray owner, and just saw my '87 Seville being enjoyed by their new owners 2 weeks ago. A good brand. Not in the same class as a Mastercraft. If the owner will not start it, RUN DO NOT WALK, AWAY! That is the first red flag here, A 3.0 in a 20 foot boat will be running wide open most of the time just to get it moving. Anything less than a V8 will not last as long, and the repair bill will cancel the gas savings. Finally, how much do they want for the boat? I am willing to bet, it is too much. What are you planning on using the boat for? If it is skiing, or wakeboarding, buy an inboard. Plenty of deals out there on used ones.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:46 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
our first boat had the 3.0L "iron maiden". most folks i have talked to say this motor is bullet proof and will run forever. all we had was problems with ours. biggest problem was that it was a real bear to get started. it was very loud and has been mentioned above, you had to pretty much run it wide open to get any where. also, my advice, regardless of the motor size is to opt for fuel injection. a friend bought a new caravelle 20ish footer a few years ago. it had the carbed version of the mercruiser 5.0. on his 2nd run i was already having to make an adjustment on the carb for him. on a side note, for recreational boating the 5.0 seems to be an ok fit for that size I/O.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:11 AM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft X-14 350 mcx
Walk away from this one. Too many red flags. Be patient and you will find the right one.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:30 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Plenty of good advice about the ups and downs of this model. Whatever you do, make sure it's a great deal financially because with the little motor it will be a hard resale. Even a 4.3 in this size io is underpowered for watersports.
I'd also suggest that this deal may not have red flags but rather old people who are too lazy to put any effort into selling it.
I'd suggest get them to agree to a sale price you like then make it contingent on running the boat..... In the water. Figure into your offer that you'll have to do the legwork with jump starting or a battery, some fresh gas, tow it to the lake, whatever.
If you offer to make it easy on them and they refuse then walk away.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN