Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2013, 09:23 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 96 sunbird
I'm just wondering if the gas it too old and if the carbs will really be clogged. I think with convincing I can get her to let me water test it.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:36 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
It maybe just fine. Never buy a boat unless you've done a water test. Also carry someone with you who is very familiar with boats. You don't know what you don't know, and a person who knows what a boat is supposed to drive and sound like is much better than the sellers opinion on why its makings funny noise.

I'll give you a great example my neighbor sold a boat last year for $9,000.00 I wouldn't of given $2,000.00 for it. They didn't take care of it and every time it had a problem they bypassed whatever it was that was causing the problem, but since the new owners never test drove it on the water, they only started it up in the driveway, they are now probably wishing they never bought this boat because I'm sure they have fixed multiple problems with it by now.

If I was giving advice to my sister it would be pay a little more for a boat that has been owned by one person for a long time who took meticulous care of it. It wil be cheaper in the long run.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 ProStar 190
If 9 month old gas clogged carbs, none of us would be able to use our boats in the spring.

My boat spents 8 months a year shrinkwraped in the North as most of ours do. It sounds like she is trying to hide something. I would avoid the boat and look for a Mastercraft instead.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishblue82 View Post
they won't let me start it because they say it needs new fuel and oil first.
If they're not willing to put new fuel in and do an oil change, walk away. They're the ones saying that's what it needs to be ready to run, so they should do it. They either want to sell it or they don't. If they do, they need to get it ready to sell.

Having said that, I'll echo what someone already asked: what do you want to do with the boat? A little 3.0 is going to run out of breath pretty quickly if you're trying to barefoot, and you might have to hold on to the handle for a while to get up on a single ski. It'll move you around, sure, but 5-6 normal adults and you'll notice longer time to plane, more fuel consumption and less performance. If you're like most of us and like power, I'd look at something with a V6 at a minimum, but ideally an 8. More power, higher resale.

G
Old 10-02-2013, 09:40 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
9 month old gas won't be a problem and it won't hurt the carb. If anything, running the engine and having some gas flow through the carb will be beneficial.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 10-02-2013, 09:44 AM
TT Newbie

whoops....just figured out what MC meant. I didn't realize this was a particular boat site, thought it was just a general boating site. sorry everyone. I'll go with the same quote I used earlier and blame it on being a woman
Old 10-02-2013, 09:47 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Please don't read more into this than advice from someone with "project" experience.
What brings you to a MC forum for a SeaRay and you are a Sunbird, assuming OB owner now?

Don't know what the model is but 21' is about the largest they would put a 3.0 and that would likely but close to under powered so we are only talking a $10k boat/trailer package if it really just needs cosmetic TLC.

It does not sound like you are ready for a boat needing "a little TLC". This almost always turns into ALOT more effort.
Don't know what "southeast" means but 9 months at this time of year is odd for me, that puts it winterized in Dec/January?? Red flag that they have not used it even longer and waited until a freeze to finally winterize thus potential problems.
How has the boat been stored? What needs TLC?

People usually change oil in the fall so 9mo should be no issue. Gas should be no issue as it is. If tank is not full, throw in 5-10gal of 91 octane and fire it up.
Grab a pair of $10 muffs and say this thing starts or we are talking $3,000. I would not be satisfied with only running on muffs but at least you know it will run for a lake test.
Cracked block or other major problems will not present themselves til put under load of a lake test.
I would definitely pay $100 for a mechanic to inspect, especially given your limited experience.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:09 AM
TT Newbie

bsloop- I didn't realize this was a particular boat site, thought it was just a general boating site. I'll go with the same quote I used earlier and blame it on being a woman.

I will on that same note take a look at local master crafts to see what the big rush is!

and as far as 9 months go for these people... they are old. kids grew up. no use for them anymore since none of the kids are local anymore. I'll run all your ideas past these people. if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out. and I gladly appreciate all the help to an Outsider! thanks everyone
Old 10-02-2013, 11:12 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 10-02-2013, 11:39 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Irish, you need to take a ride in a competition tow boat, and compare the performance to what you're looking at. These boats aren't for everyone, but neither are Ferraris.