Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2013, 07:34 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 96 sunbird
Question is 9 months too long to start a boat

I don't know much about boats (I'm a woman) but I do know a lot about spending money.

looking at buying a "new" boat. I hate ours and I'm looking at one that needs a little TLC. the big question is does it run???

it's a 2000 sea ray bowrider 3.0 mercruiser. the owners say it started good last time but it's been sitting 9 months and they won't let me start it because they say it needs new fuel and oil first.

I was asking my boyfriend if we could bypass their tank to start and he said the carbs were probably gummed up and it wouldn't be safe. I can't buy a boat I haven't tested!!! I have a feeling it is a decent boat-- these people live in a ritzy neighborhood. but not sure it's worth the gamble. been there done that. been screwed one too many times. can anyone help??
Old 10-02-2013, 07:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14
Starting it and seeing it run, preferably in water, would be something I would insist on before buying it. Ask them would they buy a used car without driving it? Would they buy a house without testing if the water ran, the lights came on, the toilets flushed, and the furnace worked? Seems like a basic function of the boat that it needs to start and run. If it were me I would walk away. Plenty of boats out there to buy that one does not need to deal with idiots trying to hide something.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:52 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
I would pass if you can't water test it.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Hiding something possibly. Don't really want to sell? A Searay, nah get a MasterCraft. I have heard that a Sea ray can be amongst the best boats in the world.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:37 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishblue82 View Post
(I'm a woman) but I do know a lot about spending money.
greatest quote... ever
Quote:
I hate ours
Quote:
we could bypass
buying a boat with a boyfriend is the absolute quickest way to relationship destruction that exists
Quote:
these people live in a ritzy neighborhood.
by and large (i know the few exceptions are on here) rich people dont care of their boats, too much work for them
Old 10-02-2013, 08:45 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
9 month old gas while certainly not the best will start a motor and run just fine. I used to buy/sell project boats (which eventually led to having the boat I own now) that hadn't ran in a year or two and could get them to run on the old gas or would turn the gas off and start the boat using a can of carb cleaner. You can also get an idea of how bad the gas is by taking off the gas cap and taking a quick smell. If it still smells like gas it will probably still start an engine.

If they're that worried about running it that would set off some alarms in my mind and would also greatly influence what a reasonable offer might look like. At a minimum I would want to put a battery in the boat and see the motor turn over. I would also do a compression check, check the condition of the oil and drain some of the oil out if the outdrive. The oil doesn't have to be clean but it shouldn't be milky. I've had a couple outdrives that I've pulled the bottom plug and had water come out.

Other areas to check without starting the boat would be the hydraulics for the outdrive to see if they work or leak. Check all the electrical (blower, lights bilge pump(s), etc.). Check the condition of all the rubber parts (bellows, trim lines and hoses on the engine). Move to the trailer and pull the cap off the master cylinder and check the condition of the brake fluid. If it's milky, has water in it or there is no fluid at all know that you will need to completely rebuild the brakes from front to back.

I've found that when the affluent get tired of something they typically don't take care of their stuff but will still want top dollar. Unless they are motivated to move the boat they'll just let it sit there and rot because they can. I would always make an offer in this situation and be willing to work with the seller. I would also be careful not to insult and try the leave the offer open before walking away which BTW you should always be willing to do. Remember there's always another deal waiting for you if you spend the time looking and have patience. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:59 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
If they want to sell the boat they could spend a few bucks to change the oil and put in fresh gas. Walk away. What is your budget and intended use? Forewarning, this is a MC site so your responses may be a little biased.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:20 AM
TT Newbie

I definitely won't buy without testing, that's why I'm trying to figure out if it's ok to start so I can convince the woman to let us start it. if she won't let us do it then it's a no go. thanks for the reply
Old 10-02-2013, 09:22 AM
TT Newbie

willy t glad I entertained you! might be a good heads up on the rich people thing... I was expecting opposite but I guess it does sound right.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:22 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
I would pass if you can't water test it.
I agree. Shady deal if you can't water test it.