Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2013, 03:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MC X Star, PP
Winterize a MCX??

Well after searching several days on the Forum... I found several posts asking how to winterize... The people post pull plugs from manifolds, and plugs from block and pull loose the lower intake lines and let all the water drain out. My Dealer went from 180 bucks to Winterize to 550 last year. Plus my boat sits in my Climate Controlled Garage so it never gets below 48.

Some post say pull the plugs, some say drain tranny and drain all the oil.

My hopes for this post is to create a Master Post for Winterize(Sticky), so people dont have to look everywhere. Lastly I have saw the Checklist that has been cross post several times to Winterize from Ski Lake or something to that affect. Not wanting a Checklist... though its good, it leaves us visual learners out. You show me something once, and I remember it a life time.

What I hope is a picture step by step guide. Anyone??
Old 09-30-2013, 04:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14
I like the idea of a winterization post (sticky). Could someone take photos when they do their winterizations to add to the posts? People talk about plugs and stuff but us newbies don't even know what these things look like. I had mine done at the local MC shop, but it would be nice to know a little bit about what they did so I understand.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 X2
I was in the same boat this weekend, was pretty confident from looking over the forum here but its a pretty daunting task the first time you do it and there is a lot at stake if you do it wrong in my climate.
I downloaded the indmar manual that was helpful and I found some pictures on a few other websites that helped visually point out where everything was.
In the end I learned a lot doing it myself and took more stuff apart than was really needed.
Biggest pain for me was dealing with the impeller, its pretty tight to get at.
Maybe the pictures on the links will help you out-I did not really think I was qualified to put together a step by step the first time out, maybe next year...

http://www.moomba.com/msgboard/showt...w-and-improved

http://www.aquaskier.com/articles/bo...terization.htm
Old 09-30-2013, 05:08 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X2 MCX w/ 07 Tower
I'm also interested in knowing the steps that need to be done for storage this winter. My boat will stay inside my attached garage, so I don't think it needs to be totally winterized (but I could be wrong... my first boat).

I've searched a few times and come up with 1000 different things to do. It seems to be a bit much for a boat staying inside a warm garage.

One post with the suggested things to do would be great!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILENTxNOISE View Post
It seems to be a bit much for a boat staying inside a warm garage.
My brother has a big fishing boat in upstate NY and he had it in a heated garage one year and all was well.....until a blizzard hit knocking out power in that region for 11 days. A whole barn full of boats got damaged due to the cold. His motto now is winterize and be ready.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:16 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X2 MCX w/ 07 Tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ORidr View Post
My brother has a big fishing boat in upstate NY and he had it in a heated garage one year and all was well.....until a blizzard hit knocking out power in that region for 11 days. A whole barn full of boats got damaged due to the cold. His motto now is winterize and be ready.
Well... Good point!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:57 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 X30 GEN2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrown2 View Post
Well after searching several days on the Forum... I found several posts asking how to winterize... The people post pull plugs from manifolds, and plugs from block and pull loose the lower intake lines and let all the water drain out. My Dealer went from 180 bucks to Winterize to 550 last year. Plus my boat sits in my Climate Controlled Garage so it never gets below 48.

My hopes for this post is to create a Master Post for Winterize(Sticky), so people dont have to look everywhere. Lastly I have saw the Checklist that has been cross post several times to Winterize from Ski Lake or something to that affect. Not wanting a Checklist... though its good, it leaves us visual learners out. You show me something once, and I remember it a life time.

There is a really good video on you tube winterizing an Indmar engine - don't forget the heater core if you have one. This is a monsoon but they are all the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezZJq3nn1Z0
Old 09-30-2013, 08:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X-Star 2003 X2 (SOLD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILENTxNOISE View Post
I'm also interested in knowing the steps that need to be done for storage this winter. My boat will stay inside my attached garage, so I don't think it needs to be totally winterized (but I could be wrong... my first boat).

I've searched a few times and come up with 1000 different things to do. It seems to be a bit much for a boat staying inside a warm garage.

One post with the suggested things to do would be great!
KY is a little colder than TN. But my dad cracked the block 15 years ago in an attached garage.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:34 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft 2008 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrown2 View Post

Gas heat or electric
Old 09-30-2013, 09:40 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2009 X-14
Do you change the engine oil for winterization and start the 50 hour count all over again in the spring ?

Thanks

John