Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2013, 12:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Finding the course

Finding the sub-buoys to install the course happened late this year due to a list of situations too long to go into. I hope this could help someone in the future.

The conundrum was that the subs have been there for 20+ years, and thus are covered in algae. Early in the season this can be seen through clear water. By the time we got to look for them this year, there was significant algae, and visibility was very limited.

A number of people spent significant amounts of time looking for the subs, with no success. Eventually we were able to get a rough coordinate for each individual buoy. By findin the buoys on Google Maps and zooming in as tightly as possible we were able to hover the pointer on the buoy and get the coordinates in a lat/long decimal format. Using GPC Coordinate in the Google Play Store (a free app) we went out and found the coordinate. (This part was a bit trickier than it sounds.) In the end, we were within 2-3 feet of the buoy in every instance.

Now if I can get this hamstring healed up, I'm hoping to get out and use it a few more times.

Also, a special thanks to the UW Waterski Team for their efforts on this course. Let me know if you guys need a pull sometime.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14
The guy that has the local course on the lake near me has gone out with a GPS and found every bouy and made note of where they were located. Now he can find them under the ice or in the summer in seconds.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
if this happens again let me know and I will throw the scuba gear in the car and head your way
Old 09-30-2013, 10:23 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
We used to have a reference line for one sub buoy. From there, with a measured section of rope (with course dimensions used as reference points), we could find the rest pretty easily.

You can also use a bit of weighted line or cable to toss out as sort of a "hoop" and drag to find subs. This works well on our clubs course when we have trouble locating a sub when a buoy goes missing.

I never had much luck using GPS to find them.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 x7
used my iPhone GPS last year to map the course, put me within 3 feet every time this spring.