Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 09-26-2013, 11:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-2
Series...CHECK! Parallel...CHECK! OHM(ygod) Help!

Guys, help me wrap my sleep deprived head around this... I have 4 speaker wires (two pairs = 2 channels) in my tower. I have 2 tower speakers connected. I want to connect 2 more.

MC confirmed that the tower is wired to run 2 ohms per channel when more than one set of speakers are on the tower. This is where I black out.

1) Does this mean the two speakers on the tower right now are tied to one set of wires in parallel creating a 2 ohm load?

2) Does the second pair of tower speakers connect to the second set of wires in parallel creating another 2 ohm load?

If I can establish this, my next question will follow... Easy does it, one step at a time! And for those of you out there in the know...this ain't no step for a hill climber!
Old 09-27-2013, 09:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Your current pair of tower speakers are each wired to an amp chnl, with the amp seeing a 4 ohm load. I believe your tower harness has 4 speaker wire pairs already routed through it. Since you only have the single pair, the other unused 2 wire pairs are bundled up either under the deck, below tower leg or in the port locker close to the amp. They will be a purple pair and a green pair. Once you locate them, you just need to connect them in parallel with the other speaker wires. This is as simple as piggybacking them onto the amp chnls with the other wires.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
Your current pair of tower speakers are each wired to an amp chnl, with the amp seeing a 4 ohm load. I believe your tower harness has 4 speaker wire pairs already routed through it. Since you only have the single pair, the other unused 2 wire pairs are bundled up either under the deck, below tower leg or in the port locker close to the amp. They will be a purple pair and a green pair. Once you locate them, you just need to connect them in parallel with the other speaker wires. This is as simple as piggybacking them onto the amp chnls with the other wires.
MLA, Thanks so much! This solves the mystery... in other words, each speaker has it's own home-run so I won't have to pull extra wires?
Old 10-11-2013, 11:55 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Would be nice if MC had 4pr of spkr wire running up the tower but based on your conversation with MC and you only see 2pr that's probably what you have. If your amp is 2 ohm stable then you can run 2 speakers in series off of each pair of wires.
I did this when I upgraded to 4 spkrs running off of a 2ch amp with 2pr wire to the tower. 100hrs of run time later still works fine.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 10-11-2013, 01:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Would be nice if MC had 4pr of spkr wire running up the tower but based on your conversation with MC and you only see 2pr that's probably what you have. If your amp is 2 ohm stable then you can run 2 speakers in series off of each pair of wires.
I did this when I upgraded to 4 spkrs running off of a 2ch amp with 2pr wire to the tower. 100hrs of run time later still works fine.
Thrall... I had to go back and look it over again. Turns out I have 2 quick-connect plugs on the port side of the tower. Each connector has 4 wires run in and out of it. I traced them down into the locker and found all 8 wires. 2 pairs are connected to the amp and two pairs are bundled together not connected. Therefore, I believe there is a dedicated pair of wires for up to 4 speakers.