Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2013, 12:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Falcon
One thing to know is that unlike knees shoulders surgery is unique per patient in the amount of rebuild that will be taking place. It sounds like your is going to be pretty extensive. I had rotator cuff along with a reverse bankart repair and it sucked ***. I had dislocated mine over 200 times and I also had to have my joint reformed and I could not move it for 8 weeks due to the bone work. Yours sound pretty similar but they try to get people moving righ away now. Just as everyone says PT PT PT and then more PT. You will hate PT it is the worse thing I have ever done and that includes several ironman races. PT is painful and exhausting. Know it is going to hurt and embrace that or you will regret it. I did a ton of PT and am pretty much 100% going on 10 years now. I don't have the exact same range of motion but that was built that way by the Dr. I was over a year before I felt 100% meaning that I did not think about my shoulder when I was doint things but 6-8 months I was doing everything I wanted. Just know it will change things you will not expect for example my golf swing is different and my swim stroke is changed. It actually made my skiing sides a bit more similar (most likely made my on side a bit worse).
Old 09-28-2013, 04:39 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2011 ProStar 214
I've had a thermal capsular shift (shrinking of the labrum to pull things back in line) twice on my right shoulder. My second surgery was about 8 years after the first, and was done by an ortho that only does shoulders, only for athletes. I had excellent overall results, but it was almost exactly the six months of recovery that he said I would have initially. Recovering range of motion in PT after surgery is by far the worst part. I now run the course confidently (wasn't even doing that back then) and sent my surgeon a pic of me at two ball hanging from his work on the end of a 53' line.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:54 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
I had a 100% tear along with bone spurs. Had surgery march last year. 3 months of pt was brutal but necessary. Do the pt! Skied after 6 months, didn't feel great. Waited another month and all was good. This year back at 99% range of motion and good for anything. Just count on a year off.

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6
Old 09-30-2013, 09:31 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 98 Anniversary Edition 190
I am 1 month into my shoulder surgery. I tore the labrum and Bicep tendon off the bone. The doc cut my bicep tendon and drilled a hole in another bone and secured with a headless bolt. The Labrum he stitched back to the bone. Doing PT getting range of motion back. Its a painful surgery and recovery but have to do it. The PT and ice are key to getting it better.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:24 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
I had 360 labral tear bicep tendon tear , then re tore a bit of it post op in another work related chase. Shoulders are painful . As mentioned stay ahead on meds. Invest in a good lazy boy because you won't be sleeping in your bed for a while. Make sure your Dr gets you a game ready or similar cryo machine. Te pressure and cold help the pain and healing process. I prefer the game ready as it stays much colder and the new wrap really fits perfectly on the shoulder. The downside to the game ready vs other cryo machines is it requires ice so you need to keep a large stock on hand. The upside tho is it has the coldest temps.

I am feeling almost 100%. It was solid 8mos of rehab for me before I hit it hard. I wanted to make sure I never had to go through that pain again. Then wouldn't you know it. Go back to work at 14mos post op chase some thug down an alley and tackle him. Pop goes all the work they just did. Time to rehab again. I feel great now though. Still play hockey 3 times a week, and wakeboard 2-3 times a week. A solid rehab is key. Don't slack.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft Limited 351W slot
Sorry for the thread jack

I have a torn labrum in my right shoulder from a fire truck wreck June 11 2005. I can still work and play although sleeping sometimes hurts.

The VA is ready/wanting to operate. I feel that the long recovery and chances of losing strength and/or range of motion ( which is excellent in both arms) may not be worth the surgery at this time in my career.

Anyone have any advice for me?
Old 10-02-2013, 11:33 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205 Sammy Duvall LT1 330hp
Not sure how badly torn your labrum is? I had one flap/tear 8mm and 3 flaps/tears about 3mm. I was in pain 80% of the time before surgery and now 8mo P.O., maybe 10% of the time depending on what I'm doing. Dr said no restriction P.O. so first day with 1 pain killer worked about 5hrs cutting down trees. Next day no pain killers, 8hrs doing the same thing and back to construction work full time. After the first pain killer, I took one after work each night for the first week to sleep. Ice, ice, ice and more ice. I exercise 4-6 days a week so I'm in decent shape and that definitely helped with recovery. I went for the surgery because even though it was painful after work; I would have to take 4-5+ days off from training because I was in too much pain after a workout, and regardless what I did I couldn't get a good nights sleep. Took about 3-4mo before I was back to full strength. Had surgery early April, started skiing early July with no issues other than fatigue in the beginning. Hope this helps, Good luck
Old 11-23-2013, 07:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
well I had the surgery on Wednesday and went home same day . they ended up fixing my rotator , shaving my labrum , and cutting part of my scapula down . got my game ready cyro machine delivered on Thursday and now every half hour its like getting a fix . pain isn't as bad as I thought it would be but haven't slept now going on four days . just sitting in a recliner watching cheesy movies on the sci fi channel and watching the lake slowly freeze . six degrees here this morning when the sun came up and the forecast is for three below tonight
Old 11-25-2013, 09:24 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
You should be starting PT by now. As I stated before I was in the recliner for quite a few weeks. Just couldn't get comforable in the bed and even when I did the pain would start after a couple of hours. Back to the recliner I went. Just take it easy and don't push it. Listen to the doctors and PTs. 4 or 5 months down the road you will be almost back to normal pain free and after 12 you won't even know which sholder you had it done on. Good luck!

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6
Old 11-25-2013, 10:45 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by atihanyi View Post
well I had the surgery on Wednesday and went home same day . they ended up fixing my rotator , shaving my labrum , and cutting part of my scapula down . got my game ready cyro machine delivered on Thursday and now every half hour its like getting a fix . pain isn't as bad as I thought it would be but haven't slept now going on four days . just sitting in a recliner watching cheesy movies on the sci fi channel and watching the lake slowly freeze . six degrees here this morning when the sun came up and the forecast is for three below tonight
Can you stream videos to your TV? If not, think about getting a Roku or AppleTV. OTOH, you may never leave the house, if you do.