Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2013, 07:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
shoulder surgery and skiing

I am going to have my left shoulder rebuilt in november after hunting season . My rotator is torn 80% my labrum 40% and joint is bone on bone . My surgeon is a rec skier and tells me I will be back to skiing by May . We ski usually six days a week combo of open water drills and course skiing . Just curious what other skiers experience is with this and what the results were. Its the first time I have ever had a surgeon tell me "this is going to hurt" not looking forward to it .
Old 09-26-2013, 08:31 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
ski 6 days a week? - I hate you..
Old 09-26-2013, 09:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 209X9 & ProStar 190 LT1-Powerslot
My father (60 yo) had this surgery last fall and he bounced back remarkably 5-6 months. Diligent therapy at home and with a PT is what he credited his fast recovery. He also mentioned the ice therapy machine they offer is well worth it.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
My wife had arthroscopic surgery on her shoulder on Monday. She tolerates pain well, but this has been pretty bad so far. Prepare yourself, and don't expect to do much for several days afterwards.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 205
As a PT, my experience is shoulder surgeries hurt more than most other common orthopedic operations. Post op rehab is tough but my recommendation is stay in medication, along with icing, to ease the discomfort as you begin range of motion. The most common theme I've seen, and read in the literature, is the stronger and more functioning you go into surgery the better the outcome. I've got two orthopods that regularly send people before surgery for 1-2 visits for "prehab" and outcomes generally are very good.

To your question, pulling for the shoulder is less strenuous then pushing and overhead activities (typically). If you're gently free skiing with the elbow held somewhat close to your body then 5-6 months shouldn't be an issue, but with the arm extended there is greater weakness and tissue strain.

Rehab strong (once the tissue is healed), focus on regaining range of motion and strength in all the ranges needed for skiing.

Not all PTs are the same, find one with orthopedic or sports experience, (ocs or scs designation).
Old 09-27-2013, 11:22 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Pro Star 205 1994 LT1
I had my first surgery in 06' and it was a very painful experiance.. I hadnle pain really well too. Like they are saying make sure you do as much PT as you can.. I didn't finish mine and thought I was good to go, and now I have very limited range of motion.. I have the same surgery again in two weeks.. good luck!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:37 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
At 55 years old I had a rotator cuff repair also. This was almost 2 years ago. I had it done in January and did my first run in October. I was doing PT for for almost a year then started a "maintenance plan" and up until 2 months ago I stopped. I would say I have completely healed as I can ski without any worries but I'm not near as aggressive. Haven't skied as much as I would like to and I can tell the next day. Just do the PT and go at it slow you will be fine.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:48 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mc x-25 2013 6.0
Send a message via AIM to Bambamski1
reconstruct ouch... I"ve had my shoulder done, not a full reconstruct and I was 4 months.

Get ready for the worst month of armpit rot ever.... then after you can move your arm and you can put deodorant on you can't get rid of the smell for another month..

I'd suggest getting one of the cryo cooler things that circulate the cool water through a cooler and a shoulder pad. They were awesome.

Good luck
Old 09-27-2013, 05:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MasterCraft X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambamski1 View Post
I'd suggest getting one of the cryo cooler things that circulate the cool water through a cooler and a shoulder pad. They were awesome.

Good luck
Yes, I had one and it helped a lot. I slept on the sofa for 4 weeks cuz I could lay on my side propped up and not roll onto my shoulder. I had a 1" tear in the muscle and it was torn away from the bone. They sowed up the tear and screwed it back to the bone. Do not start PT to soon or you could damage the repair and then will need to do it again.......

I have about 95% mobility now after 4 years, but haven't worked to get the last 5% back and am OK with it, most of the time.
2006 F150 SCrew Puller
http://www.crowniehq.net
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat.../OR/Albany.gif
Old 09-27-2013, 06:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
I had torn bicep tendon and rotator cuff - Surgery Dec 27th - boarding again in May no problem. Agree on the PT - as much as possible. My PT therapist told me most of her shoulder patients cry at some point during therapy. I didn't think it was all that bad - my knee therapy was worse than my shoulder therapy was. I feel like my shoulder is back to 100% whereas my knee might be 80%. Thinking my other shoulder is in my near future. Stick with the PT.

2013 X-25 - Love it!
2007 X-15 - Sadly no longer mine