Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-23-2013, 01:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2005 Mastercraft Prostar 197 350 hp
Starting problems 400 hp LY6

This motor is in my new to me 2009 PS214. After my first season with the boat I'm overall very happy with the engine except how it starts. From the start of this season it always seems to crank longer than it should before it starts. There are also times it wont start on the first attempt but always fires on the second.

I tolerated all of this prior to last weekend. The first start failed so I hit the key a second time and still no luck. After about 10 attempts I gave up and called Sea Tow. After the call I tried one more time and it fired and got us back to the dock. Fast forward to yesterday and it ran fine but still has the delay when starting. I'm very careful now to turn the key and let the gauges and fuel pump come up before starting it. It just seems like that shouldnt be necessary. Just curious if any other LY6 owners have experienced this or heard about it? I searched and couldnt find any prior threads on it. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 XStar LY6, 2006 X-15 (gone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake View Post
This motor is in my new to me 2009 PS214. After my first season with the boat I'm overall very happy with the engine except how it starts. From the start of this season it always seems to crank longer than it should before it starts. There are also times it wont start on the first attempt but always fires on the second.

I tolerated all of this prior to last weekend. The first start failed so I hit the key a second time and still no luck. After about 10 attempts I gave up and called Sea Tow. After the call I tried one more time and it fired and got us back to the dock. Fast forward to yesterday and it ran fine but still has the delay when starting. I'm very careful now to turn the key and let the gauges and fuel pump come up before starting it. It just seems like that shouldnt be necessary. Just curious if any other LY6 owners have experienced this or heard about it? I searched and couldnt find any prior threads on it. Thanks.

Have you checked the fuel pressure? Attach a gauge to the Schrader (spelling) valve on the fuel rail...I think I saw one on mine. Could possibly be a fuel pump going. Just my thought. I had this issue on my 15 but was a MCX and was the fuel pump.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 05 X-45
I occasionally have a similar issue and have it narrowed down the the fuel pump wiring. 97% of the time it fires right up. I had slow starts but replacing the batteries fixed that. The 3% of the time that it doesn't start, I wiggle the fuel pump wiring, make sure i hear the pump priming, and she fires right up.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-25 6.2 Ilmore
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake View Post

Also, Check out the fuel pump 101 thread...it will both terrify and educate you about fuel pump issues. If you have a mastercraft, you've probably had to go through this at one time or another...
Old 09-26-2013, 01:59 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2005 Mastercraft Prostar 197 350 hp
Thanks all for the feedback. I'm going to run it Saturday but stay in the cove close to the dock just in case. Will probably take it to the dealer in the off season.